Ridden with confidence by jockey Victor Espinoza, Bajan, the 4-5 favorite, responded with a decisive victory in the $100,000 Moccasin Stakes Nov. 9 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
Sum of the Parts popped the gate and never looked back en route to a repeat victory in the $200,000 Stoll Keenon Ogden Phoenix Stakes (gr. III), posting his first win of the season on opening day at Keeneland Oct. 4.
The 3-year-old son of Speightstown earns a spot in the Breeders' Cup Sprint with the win.
Sum of the Parts, taking the lead shortly after the start, led at every pole to capture the $400,000 Red Legend Stakes by 3 3/4 lengths in an upset at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races on the night of June 30.
Champion Anees, who was in the middle of standing his third season at Mill Ridge Farm near Lexington, was euthanized the morning of April 5.
Buddha, a grade I winner for owners Gary and Mary West who won all three starts this year for trainer James Bond, has been retired because of a muscle problem in his back.
Seven-year-old Critikola, a group II winner in her native Argentine and grade I stakes-placed in the U.S., has been retired from racing and was bred April 28 to champion Lemon Drop Kid.
Most Popular Stories
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Genetics Behind Horses' Face and Leg Markings Studied
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Engaging On-Track Fans With Social Games
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Lucayan Well-Spotted in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Bringing Precision to Track Maintenance
- Records on the Line in Final Native Diver Run