Soviet Song attempts to bridge a 17-year gap by becoming the first filly since Milligram in 1987 to win the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes- Sponsored by Netjets (Eng-I) at Britain's Ascot Racecourse Saturday.
Soviet Song overtook the strong pacesetter Attraction 40 yards from the wire to register her third consecutive group I win in the Coolmore Fusaichi Pegasus Matron Stakes (Ire-I) at Leopardstown on Saturday.
Trainer James Fanshawe and jockey Johnny Murtagh notched their second group I win of the week when 14-1 shot Frizzante won Thursday's Darley July Cup (Eng-I) at Newmarket, England.
Duke of Roxburghe's 3-year-old Attraction, who had gained star status as she rolled to victories in her first eight career starts, was handed her first career loss Tuesday when 4-year-old Soviet Song posted a 2 1/2-length triumph in the UAE Equestrian and Racing Federation Falmouth Stakes (Eng-I) at England's Newmarket racecourse.
Soviet Song, ridden by veteran Johnny Murtagh, proved a popular six-length winner of the Ridgewood Pearl Stakes (Ire-II) at The Curragh Saturday.
The Owl Society's Arctic Owl pulled away from Yavana's Pace in the final furlong to win the Jefferson Smurfit Memorial Irish St. Leger (Ire-I) by 1 1/2 lengths Saturday at the Curragh.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- Coltimus Prime Rules Prince of Wales
- Montana Jockey Seriously Injured in Spill
- Purses, Races Set for WV Classics Card
- Study: EIPH Does Not Shorten Racing Careers
- Equibase Announces Redesigned Website
- Plenty of Options for Bayern after Haskell
- Ashford's Shanghai Bobby to Shuttle to Brazil
- Kingman, Toronado Set for Sussex Clash