After a 10.49% increase in total pari-mutuel handle in 2013 compared with 2012, Breeders' Cup officials are hoping for more gains this year. But they'll have to come in another year of depressed wagering.
A review of wagering on this year's World Championships indicated the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy cost Breeders' Cup roughly $9 million in pari-mutuel handle compared with 2011 figures, organization officials said.
The 10-cent superfectas that have become popular at North American racetracks will make their Breeders' Cup World Championships debut at Monmouth Park Oct. 26-27.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Lady Eli Pointed to Aug. 27 Ballston Spa
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Bradester Towers Over Monmouth Cup Field
- Stellar Wind to Challenge Beholder Again
- Mountaineer's Leading Trainer Suspended
- Lady Shipman Seeks Graded Win at Woodbine
- Nyquist Arrives at Monmouth
- Infinite Wisdom in Wide-Open Oceanport
- Lexie Lou Headlines Victoriana Stakes