Favored Sweet Swap became a graded stakes winner over his favored hillside turf course with a front-running tally in the $100,000 San Simeon Stakes (gr. IIIT) April 13 at Santa Anita Park.
Prohibitive choice Sidney's Candy, given an easy time of it on the front end in his first start for new trainer Todd Pletcher, held his rivals at bay in the $150,000 Fourstardave Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Saratoga turf.
Sidney's Candy, the overwhelming favorite in a scratched-down field of five for the $150,000 Sir Beaufort Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita Dec. 26, romped to a 7 1/4-length triumph.
Making his first start on turf, Sidney's Candy turned in a smashing performance in the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT), demolishing seven 3-year-old rivals in a course record time at Del Mar Aug. 14.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
The pedigree of Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) winner Sidney's Candy pairs speed with stamina. Will it be enough to get around the Derby oval first?
Sidney's Candy overcame a stumble at the start to post an authorative front-running victory in the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 3, defeating odds-on favorite Lookin At Lucky, who was involved in a mishap.
Front-running Sidney's Candy, making his first start around two turns, led all the way in winning the $150,000 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita March 13.
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Cuddle Alert Gives Sire Bedford Falls First Stakes Win