Cuvee, a romping winner in the Kentucky Breeders' Cup (gr. III), looms as a heavy favorite in Sunday's 102nd running of the six-furlong race for 2-year-olds - but he will be challenged by some new faces.
Cuvee, ridden by Lonnie Meche, swept to the lead on the far turn and drew off for a convincing 8 1/4-length victory over First Money in Memorial Day's featured $174,200 grade III Kentucky Breeders' Cup for 2-year-olds at Churchill Downs.
Winchell Thoroughbreds' Cuvee, a dazzling 6 1/2-length winner in his career debut at Churchill Downs on Kentucky Oaks Day, heads a field of six in the 5 1/2-furlong Kentucky Breeders' Cup (gr. III) Monday, the first graded stakes race of the year for American 2-year-olds.
Grade II winner Exploit was represented by his first winner
Most Popular Stories
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- Racing is Ripe for More Advanced Statistics
- BloodHorse.com New Navigation Tour
- NYRA Chief Discusses Aspects of Growth Plan
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Suffolk Casino Project to be Put to New Vote
- Slideshow: Royal Delta