Cuvee, a romping winner in the Kentucky Breeders' Cup (gr. III), looms as a heavy favorite in Sunday's 102nd running of the six-furlong race for 2-year-olds - but he will be challenged by some new faces.
Cuvee, ridden by Lonnie Meche, swept to the lead on the far turn and drew off for a convincing 8 1/4-length victory over First Money in Memorial Day's featured $174,200 grade III Kentucky Breeders' Cup for 2-year-olds at Churchill Downs.
Winchell Thoroughbreds' Cuvee, a dazzling 6 1/2-length winner in his career debut at Churchill Downs on Kentucky Oaks Day, heads a field of six in the 5 1/2-furlong Kentucky Breeders' Cup (gr. III) Monday, the first graded stakes race of the year for American 2-year-olds.
Grade II winner Exploit was represented by his first winner
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf Berth for Birdie Gold
- Lady Eli, Cloud Computing Among Workers for Brown
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- Crawdaddy Two-For-Two After NYSS Score
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory