Shuffling Kid brought a clear lead into the stretch, then held off a host of challengers at the wire to win Sunday's $114,400 Baldwin Stakes (gr. IIIT) in a blanket finish at Santa Anita. Under Patrick Valenzuela, Shuffling Kid barreled down the firm hillside turf course, finishing the 6 1/2 furlongs in 1:13.30.
Trainer Howard Zucker is uncertain whether Bringem Jung, a third-place finished in a Santa Anita allowance race Dec. 26 won by Werblin, will make his next start in the San Miguel Stakes on Sunday or wait until Wednesday for an allowance race. One more likely for the San Miguel is Sunny Slope Stakes winner Roman Dancer.
A field of seven, including The Thoroughbred Corp.'s impressive Officer, are set to compete in Wednesday's $250,000 Del Mar Futurity, the grade II feature on the closing-day card.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- BloodHorse.com New Navigation Tour
- Racing is Ripe for More Advanced Statistics
- NYRA Chief Discusses Aspects of Growth Plan
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Suffolk Casino Project to be Put to New Vote
- Slideshow: Royal Delta