Shuffling Kid brought a clear lead into the stretch, then held off a host of challengers at the wire to win Sunday's $114,400 Baldwin Stakes (gr. IIIT) in a blanket finish at Santa Anita. Under Patrick Valenzuela, Shuffling Kid barreled down the firm hillside turf course, finishing the 6 1/2 furlongs in 1:13.30.
Trainer Howard Zucker is uncertain whether Bringem Jung, a third-place finished in a Santa Anita allowance race Dec. 26 won by Werblin, will make his next start in the San Miguel Stakes on Sunday or wait until Wednesday for an allowance race. One more likely for the San Miguel is Sunny Slope Stakes winner Roman Dancer.
A field of seven, including The Thoroughbred Corp.'s impressive Officer, are set to compete in Wednesday's $250,000 Del Mar Futurity, the grade II feature on the closing-day card.
Most Popular Stories
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- McCarron: Clarification
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- TOBA October Member of the Month
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System