State provides some money to offset insurance cost for owners and trainers, but horsemen say the measure is only a stop-gap.
A measure to remove a mandate that exercise riders be provided workers' compensation coverage from the New York Jockey Injury Compensation Fund failed to get approved in either house of the New York legislature.
Legislation would end workers' compensation insurance for exercise riders, but retain coverage for jockeys and apprentice jockeys. If passed, owners or trainers would have to pick up the cost for insuring exercise riders.
An exercise rider at Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto was killed during training hours June 24 after a horse collapsed on him.
A proposal to create a new license classification for provisional exercise riders is under consideration by the California Horse Racing Board, which is soliciting comments from the public prior to a July 17 public hearing at Del Mar. Written comments, pro or con, must be received by July 14.
- By Tom LaMarra
The Jockeys' Guild has slammed a report issued by the National Thoroughbred Racing Association Jockey Accident Insurance Working Group, claiming it serves to facilitate the agenda of racetracks and ignores exercise riders. The Guild also takes issue with a recommendation that jockeys help pay the cost of upgraded on-track accident insurance.
- By Tom LaMarra
The Kentucky Horse Racing Authority, in a race against the legislative clock, moved Feb. 2 to submit recommendations to Gov. Ernie Fletcher for creation of a workers' compensation fund that would cover jockeys and exercise riders at racetracks and some training facilities.
Most Popular Stories
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Noble Bird May Start in Pegasus
- New York trainer/breeder DiSanto Dies at 62
- California Chrome Focused in Penultimate Move
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Lockdown Cruises in Busanda Win
- High Profile Fillies in Fair Grounds Stakes
- Pletcher Contenders Breeze for Pegasus
- First Foal for Silver Max a Filly