Rosa Stephany Taveras' Sr. Quisqueyano pulls away from odds-on Speak Logistics to win the $250,000 Calder Derby by 7 1/2 lengths.
A filly by Exclusive Quality and colts by Bernstein and Unbridled's Song sped eighths in :10 flat, fastest at the distance at the first session of the Under Tack Show for Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's 2012 June sale.
Stakes winner Exclusive Quality sired his first winner from his first crop when his 2-year-old daughter Exclusively Maria scored at Calder Race Course June 25.
Exclusive Quality, a track record-setting son of leading sire Elusive Quality, will enter stud in 2008 at Brent and Crystal Fernung's Journeyman Stud in Ocala, Fla.
WinStar Farm's 4-year-old Venetian Sunset, trained by Todd Pletcher, set a track record for a mile at Gulfstream Park of 1:34.11, winning Saturday's third-race allowance by 10 lengths under jockey John Velazquez.
The journey on the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) Trail officially began last weekend, and although none of the major stars were in action, there were enough solid performances – both gutsy and explosive -- to start the year off in a positive way.
Most Popular Stories
- Lemon Drop Kid: A Class Act
- California Chrome Progressing Toward PA Derby
- Saratoga Racing Secretary Gabriel Leaving
- Gelfenstein Farm Blossoms in Ocala
- Knee Surgery to Sideline Kid Cruz for Year
- Wallyanna Back for More in Saranac
- Kentucky to Tackle Drug Compounder Concerns
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Minnesota-Breds Featured at Canterbury
- Nebraska Court to Decide on Instant Racing