In spite of his tremendous accomplishments as a racehorse, Affirmed went to stud in 1980 with modest expectations compared to those being heaped on American Pharoah.
The newly created Gulfstream Park Derby introduced the first of this year's rising 3-year-old hopefuls on New Year's Day.
Elle Seule, a French group II winner and one of nine stakes winners out of the Pretense mare Fall Aspen, died Feb. 21 because of a ruptured aneurysm at Sheikh Hamdan's Shadwell Farm near Lexington, Ky.
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Derby Winner Materiality Dies
- Ectot Stuns Flintshire in Hirsch Turf Classic
- Bullet Train Gets First Stakes Winner
- Leading Jockey Gallardo Heads to New York
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Paulassilverlining Takes Muddy Gallant Bloom
- Live Racing at Meadowlands Cancelled Again
- 'Alice' Wins Sun Chariot, BC Might Be Next
- Hill Specialist Ambitious Brew Takes Eddie D.
- Global Glamour Takes Flight for the 'Girls'