Bob and John, a grade I-winning son of Seeking the Gold and a leading second-crop sire, will stand the 2013 breeding season at Highcliff Stallions at Mill Creek Farm near Stillwater, N.Y.
Maurice Zilber, who trained international great Dahlia, has died at age 88.
New York-based trainer Gary Contessa has been named president of the Exceller Fund, a non-profit organization that transitions former racehorses into new careers.
Gato Del Sol, who won the 1982 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) as a homebred for Arthur B. Hancock III and Leone J. Peters, was euthanized Aug. 7.
The Exceller Fund is sponsoring its second annual Valentine Horses fundraiser, which runs through Feb. 7, or until the first 50 orders are received.
Old Friends was formed last year with the intent of retiring and/or bringing home pensioned Thoroughbred stallions and giving the public access to these horses. Ironically the operation's first acquisition, aptly named Narrow Escape, is a 21-year-old mare.
The Exceller Fund is sponsoring its first annual Valentine Horses fundraiser, which runs through Feb. 7.
By Hallie McEvoy -- Unlike Ferdinand and Exceller, when Genuine Risk finally gallops to her final rest, it will be after a life of love and affection from those around her.
The Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation is committed to stopping the slaughter of all thoroughbred racehorses no matter what their racing stature.
- By Dan Liebman
By Dan Liebman -- The slaughter of American horses after they have outlived their usefulness in other countries could be remedied by contracts stipulating the original owner has the right to buy the horse back if the foreign owner no longer wanted the animal.
The Exceller Fund is celebrating its fifth anniversary this year. The Exceller Fund is an Internet group that raises money to rescue Thoroughbred and other horses who would otherwise be sent to slaughter.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Named 2016 Longines World's Best Racehorse
- Smith Eagerly Awaits 'Chrome'-Arrogate Rematch
- Lea Gets Bay Filly as First Foal
- Arrogate, California Chrome Meet Again in Pegasus
- Arrogate Celebrated as Longines World's Best Racehorse
- Pegasus Features Several Unique Conditions
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - January 24, 2017
- Total of 418 3-year-olds Nominated to 2017 Triple Crown
- Behind Scenes of Arrogate’s World’s Best Ranking
- Champion Steeplechaser Rawnaq to Miss 2017 Season