Cubahad an easy time of it against four overmatched rivals as he powered to a four-length victory in the $279,000 Jim McKay Maryland Million Classic at Laurel Park Oct. 4. More than $1.6 million was available in purses at the Maryland track.
The $300,000 Maryland Million Classic, headline event of the 23rd annual showcase for the offspring of Maryland sires Oct. 4, drew the top three finishers from the race last year, including defending champion Evil Storm.
The 3-year-old colt won the marathon by 10 lengths Dec. 29 at Aqueduct, denying Successful Affair's bid to repeat.
Winning Move Stable's Successful Affair will attempt to defend his title in the $75,000 Gallant Fox Handicap, the 5-year-old gelding will take on five challengers Dec. 29 at Aqueduct.
Evil Storm, Akronism, and Moon Catcher were among the winners on the Oct. 13 Maryland Million program at Laurel Park.
The $300,000 Maryland Million Classic, feature of the 22nd Maryland Million Day at Laurel Park Oct. 13, has drawn a field of 10, including the champions from the previous two years.
Due carried Rosie Napravnik from last to first while scoring an upset victory in the $250,000 Maryland Million Classic. The 3-10 favorite Cherokee's Boy faded to fifth in his 48th and final start.
The 21st Maryland Million, a festive homecoming for Marylanders and the offspring of Maryland sires, attracted 117 entrants to the twelve race program to be presented Saturday at Laurel Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Daily Updates
- Catching Up with Hansel
- Surgically Treating 'Kissing Spines' in the Standing Horse
- Aurelia's Belle Helps Owner Realize Dream
- California Chrome Boasts Strong Foundation
- Gulfstream-Calder Deal Could Be in Works
- Tapit Colt Leads Robust OBS Second Session
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 4/21/2014
- Afternoon With the Regal Rosalind
- Claiborne Farm to Sponsor Breeders' Futurity