Calder Race Course announced the postponement of its two graded stakes scheduled for Dec. 5--the $100,000 Tropical Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) and $100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIT)--due to a current quarantine of the stable area. There is no word on when the races will be rescheduled.
Two days following a Dec. 8 report that a Standardbred had tested positive at a Delaware training center, blood and nasal swab samples were collected from all horses in the quarantined barn and submitted to the University of Kentucky for PCR testing to detect the disease.
A Delaware state veterinarian announced Dec. 8 a Standardbred horse in Kent County tested positive for equine herpesvirus-1 (EHV-1), a highly infectious viral disease of horses.
In the last month, 16 of the 19 horses at Brookhill Stables in Goble, Ore., and two horses from a nearby private farm, have showed respiratory and/or neurologic signs consistent with equine herpesvirus type 1 (EHV-1), although not all have been tested for the disease.
Most Popular Stories
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004