Calder Race Course announced the postponement of its two graded stakes scheduled for Dec. 5--the $100,000 Tropical Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) and $100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIT)--due to a current quarantine of the stable area. There is no word on when the races will be rescheduled.
Two days following a Dec. 8 report that a Standardbred had tested positive at a Delaware training center, blood and nasal swab samples were collected from all horses in the quarantined barn and submitted to the University of Kentucky for PCR testing to detect the disease.
A Delaware state veterinarian announced Dec. 8 a Standardbred horse in Kent County tested positive for equine herpesvirus-1 (EHV-1), a highly infectious viral disease of horses.
In the last month, 16 of the 19 horses at Brookhill Stables in Goble, Ore., and two horses from a nearby private farm, have showed respiratory and/or neurologic signs consistent with equine herpesvirus type 1 (EHV-1), although not all have been tested for the disease.
Most Popular Stories
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Durkin to Receive Eclipse Award of Merit
- Attorney: NYTHA Protest Plan Not Objective
- Dortmund Stands Out in Los Alamitos Futurity
- Slideshow: 2014 Farewells
- RCI Appoints Five to New Medication Board
- RMTC Plans Changes but No Merger with RCI
- Date Announced for Second CBA Symposium
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- Heleringer Resigns as KEEP Executive Director