In his final start before retiring to stud in California, grade I winner Coil outlasted Ultimate Eagle by a head after a terrific stretch duel in the $150,000 San Pasqual Stakes (gr. II) Jan. 5 at Santa Anita Park
Millionaire Coil, winner of the 2011 Haskell Invitational (gr. I) and 2012 Santa Anita Sprint Championship Stakes (gr. I), will stand the 2013 season at Magali Farms, it was announced Dec. 28.
Coil earned his first stakes win since last year's Haskell Invitational and earned a spot in the XpressBet Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) with his upset victory in the Santa Anita Sprint Championship (gr. I) Oct. 6.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Point Given's 3yo Coil, who surprised 2011 classic winners Ruler On Ice and Shackleford in the Haskell, has a pedigree replete with turf influences and Belmont credentials.
Today Craig Bernick, 33, serves the Glen Hill outfit as president and COO, planning matings, buying stock, and traveling coast to coast to oversee the racing stable for his 91-year-old grandfather. read blog
Coil appears to be the latest top-notch 3-year-old in the barn of trainer Bob Baffert after the son of Point Given passed his initial route test in the $100,000 Affirmed Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park June 11.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Roca Rojo Closes for Athenia Victory
- Seven-Time Group I Winner Buffering Retired
- Elektrum Surges at Wire to Win Dowager
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- Gainesway Colts Among Hips to Watch
- Curalina, Syndergaard Breeze at Belmont