In his final start before retiring to stud in California, grade I winner Coil outlasted Ultimate Eagle by a head after a terrific stretch duel in the $150,000 San Pasqual Stakes (gr. II) Jan. 5 at Santa Anita Park
Millionaire Coil, winner of the 2011 Haskell Invitational (gr. I) and 2012 Santa Anita Sprint Championship Stakes (gr. I), will stand the 2013 season at Magali Farms, it was announced Dec. 28.
Coil earned his first stakes win since last year's Haskell Invitational and earned a spot in the XpressBet Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) with his upset victory in the Santa Anita Sprint Championship (gr. I) Oct. 6.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Point Given's 3yo Coil, who surprised 2011 classic winners Ruler On Ice and Shackleford in the Haskell, has a pedigree replete with turf influences and Belmont credentials.
Today Craig Bernick, 33, serves the Glen Hill outfit as president and COO, planning matings, buying stock, and traveling coast to coast to oversee the racing stable for his 91-year-old grandfather. read blog
Coil appears to be the latest top-notch 3-year-old in the barn of trainer Bob Baffert after the son of Point Given passed his initial route test in the $100,000 Affirmed Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park June 11.
Most Popular Stories
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Can Texas Red Be Beaten in the San Vicente?
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Far Right Works, Confirmed for Southwest