Cary Street, saving ground every step of the way under Miguel Mena, outlasted Ever Rider to spring a 28-1 surprise in the $200,000 Greenwood Cup (gr. III) at 1 1/2 miles on the main track at Parx Racing Sept. 1.
At $500,000 the Brooklyn Invitational pot has been sweetened, and a field of eight runners will seek to last the mile and a half in a division that has been weakened by the cancellation of the Breeders' Cup Marathon.
With Tyler Baze at the controls, Majestic Harbor seized control going to the three eighths pole in the $100,000 Tokyo City Cup (gr. III) March 29 at Santa Anita Park, opening up an insurmountable lead and winning easily.
Blueskiesnrainbows, whose front-running tactics nearly paid off in last fall's Breeders' Cup Marathon (gr. II), will try another long-distance journey in the $100,000 Tokyo City Cup Stakes (gr. III) March 29 at Santa Anita.
Argentinian-bred Ever Rider, looking to follow the path taken by Calidoscopio, heads a field of 10 along with millionaire Pool Play in the $500,000 Breeders' Cup Marathon (gr. II) on Nov. 1 at Santa Anita Park.
"The horses are for the dreamers, for the romantics," said Alberto Ibanez, sitting at Clocker's Corner on the Sunday morning before the Breeders' Cup World Championships. "With horses, you win races, not money."
Ever Rider won the Clasico Belgrano (Arg-II) in an upset June 21 at Palermo in Buenos Aires, earning a trip to the $500,000 Breeders' Cup Marathon (gr. II) Nov. 1 at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Will Take Charge Retired
- Keeneland Gross, Average Decline Slightly
- Princess of Sylmar to Fasig-Tipton Sale
- Bayern Cruises to Pennsylvania Derby Win
- Fields Shaping Up for Super Saturday Card
- Los Alamitos Concludes First Fall Meet
- After the Wire: Game On Dude & Pa. Derby
- Florida Won Steals Ontario Derby Show
- Jockey Court Eyes Return to Race Riding
- Kaldera Up in Time in German St. Leger