At $500,000 the Brooklyn Invitational pot has been sweetened, and a field of eight runners will seek to last the mile and a half in a division that has been weakened by the cancellation of the Breeders' Cup Marathon.
With Tyler Baze at the controls, Majestic Harbor seized control going to the three eighths pole in the $100,000 Tokyo City Cup (gr. III) March 29 at Santa Anita Park, opening up an insurmountable lead and winning easily.
Blueskiesnrainbows, whose front-running tactics nearly paid off in last fall's Breeders' Cup Marathon (gr. II), will try another long-distance journey in the $100,000 Tokyo City Cup Stakes (gr. III) March 29 at Santa Anita.
Argentinian-bred Ever Rider, looking to follow the path taken by Calidoscopio, heads a field of 10 along with millionaire Pool Play in the $500,000 Breeders' Cup Marathon (gr. II) on Nov. 1 at Santa Anita Park.
"The horses are for the dreamers, for the romantics," said Alberto Ibanez, sitting at Clocker's Corner on the Sunday morning before the Breeders' Cup World Championships. "With horses, you win races, not money."
Ever Rider won the Clasico Belgrano (Arg-II) in an upset June 21 at Palermo in Buenos Aires, earning a trip to the $500,000 Breeders' Cup Marathon (gr. II) Nov. 1 at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Indicators Drop at Ocala August Yearling Sale
- Speedy Moreno Dangerous Again in Woodward
- Santa Anita's Main Track to Reopen Sept. 2
- Target on Wise Dan for Bernard Baruch Return
- Sunset Glow Has Experience Edge in Debutante
- Gains Posted as Doncaster Premier Sale Ends
- Miss Behaviour Cuts Back for Prioress Run
- Kentucky Considers Allowing Salix-Free Races
- Solis Returns to California to Ride Full Time
- Clearly Now Faces Class Field in Forego