Racing fans reserve a special place in their hearts for the talented horse denied opportunity because of injury or circumstance--like Event of the Year, who won Turfway's Kentucky Derby prep in 1998.
Event of the Year, who turned heads with his five-length victory in the 1998 Jim Beam Stakes (gr. II), died last year in Venezuela.
Cal-bred Rousing Sermon, trained by Hall of Famer Jerry Hollendorfer, was the last and lone Derby worker May 1 at Churchill Downs. Jockey Jose Lezcano aboard the son of Lucky Pulpit for the first time.
Hollendorfer has been eligible for consideration since 2004 based on the rules of the game. It says here this should be a one-and-done deal for the horseman to enter the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. Read Blog
Millionaire Event of the Year will stand in 2006 at Rich and Gaby Sulpizio's Magali Farms near Santa Ynez, Calif.
A California-bred filly by millionaire Event of the Year, out of the unraced Storm Cat mare Stormy Regina, brought a final bid of $160,000 to top the Barretts October preferred yearling sale Tuesday in Pomona, Calif.
Millionaire Event of the Year was represented by his first winner when his son Seeyouattheevent won Sept. 5 at 1 1/16 miles at Pimlico.
John C. Mabee, who parlayed a corner grocery store into one of the country's most prominent breeding and racing operations, died April 24 at the Casa Palmera Care Center in Del Mar, less than a week after suffering a major stroke. He was 80.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap