James Vreeland, a successful California owner, died Dec. 20 of cancer at his Buellton, Calif., home.
Evening Promise rallied from 10th-place in the 12-horse field to win the $114,400 Monrovia Handicap (gr. IIIT) Friday on the downhill turf course at Santa Anita. The win improves her career record on the Santa Anita turf to five wins from six starts.
Richard Duggan and James R. Vreeland's Evening Promise closed from next-to-last to win the $111,700 Senator Ken Maddy Handicap (gr. IIIT) by a 1/2 length over 82-1 longshot Strawberry Way Wednesday at Santa Anita. The Kathy Walsh trainee was ridden by Kent Desormeaux and completed the about 6 1/2 furlongs in 1:13.05 while racing over firm turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Stopchargingmaria in F-T November Sale
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier
- Another Try for Metaboss in John Henry Turf
- Jockey Collins Suffers Paralysis After Spill