Predictions the Ohio River near Cincinnati, Ohio, will rise above flood stage the weekend of April 23-24 has forced the evacuation of about 400 horses from the barn area at River Downs.
With Hurricane Isabel poised to hit land late in the week of Sept. 15, Colonial Downs in Virginia has once again opened its barns to area horses that may have to seek safety from the storm.
- By Jack Shinar
As wildfires raged in nearby canyons, Fairplex Park in Pomona, Calif., became an emergency evacuation center for 90 horses forced from their homes.
Most Popular Stories
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park