Front-running Mr Gruff won his stakes debut in style, turning back a brief challenge in the lane to win the $100,000 San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the hillside turf course at Santa Anita April 18.
Hillside turf course specialist Desert Code makes a quick turnaround for trainer David Hofmans as the 122-pound high weight in the $100,000 San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIIT) on Santa Anita's penultimate day for the 2008-09 racing season April 18.
If you saw Desert Code's dramatic come-from-behind win in the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint last fall, this victory was nothing like that one. Instead, Desert Code took the lead shortly after the start of the $100,000 Daytona Handicap (gr. IIIT) Feb. 15 on the same hillside turf course at Santa Anita and was never threatened.
Desert Code, 35-1 upset winner of the inaugural Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint last fall, makes his 5-year-old debut in the $100,000 Daytona Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Santa Anita Park Feb. 15, regardless of whether the race remains on the hillside turf course.
Principle Secret, one of the country's most heralded 2-year-olds in 2006, will try to turn the tables on unbeaten Try To Fly as he makes his second 2007 start in Sunday's contentious Lazaro S. Barrera Memorial Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Hollywood Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Agent Ryan Not Surprised by Cloud Computing's Win
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Hips to Watch: Day 1 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Soul Stirring Frankel's First Classic Winner
- Preakness Wrapup: Clouds Got in the Way
- La Coronel Prepares for Royal Ascot Run
- Actress Announces Presence in Black-Eyed Susan
- Grizzel Edges Enstone in Selene Stakes