Success Express, winner of the 1987 Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) and a breed-shaping sire, has died at Vinery Stud in Australia at the age of 30.
Twilight Ridge, winner of the 1985 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I), died April 2 at Mike Rutherford's Manchester Farm. At 30, she was the oldest living Breeders' Cup victress.
Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer, along with top fillies Open Mind, Safely Kept, and Sky Beauty form the Class of 2011 for the National Museum of Racing's Hall of Fame. The induction ceremony will take place Aug. 12.
The garland of roses and other items from Winning Colors' 1988 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) victory have been presented to the Kentucky Derby Museum at Churchill Downs.
Overbrook's dispersal is the second-largest in Keeneland history.
By Terese Karmel - Several years ago, I heard one of the finest speeches at the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame inductions when trainer D. Wayne Lukas reminisced about that year's horse nominee, Winning Colors.
Winning Colors, winner of the 1988 Kentucky Derby (gr. I), was euthanized Feb. 17 following complications from colic at Hagyard Davidson McGee vet clinic near Lexington. The 23-year-old Caro mare, who was in foal to Mr. Greeley at the time of her death, was buried at Greentree Farm, a division of Gainesway Farm near Lexington. Bloodhorse.com salutes the champion mare with a special slide show.
Life's Magic, one of the greatest fillies in racing history, died at Trackside Farm in Versailles, Kentucky Aug. 21. She was 26 years old.
Lady's Secret, 1986 Horse of the Year and the richest female at one time, died March 4 from complications from foaling a General Meeting colt.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Continues Churchill Training
- Sheikh Hamdan: U.S. TC Too Much Pressure
- Ward Fillies Work at Arlington for Royal Meet
- Mubtaahij Breezes Easy at Belmont Park
- Ol' Fashion Gal Fends Off Late Run in Selene
- Stewart Pleased with Tale of Verve at Belmont
- Ashleyluvssugar No Fluke in Whittingham
- American Pharoah Gallops Again at Churchill
- Main Sequence to Defend United Nations Title
- Solow, Queen's Jewel Win at Longchamp