Estimate, the 2013 Ascot Gold Cup (Eng-I) winner belonging to Queen Elizabeth II, has tested positive for the banned substance morphine, Buckingham Palace announced July 22.
Leading Light denied Queen Elizabeth II's Estimate a repeat victory in the Gold Cup (Eng-I) June 19 at Royal Ascot in winning by a neck from that rival in a rousing three-horse battle.
Queen Elizabeth II's Estimate makes her first start of the year June 19 at Royal Ascot, where she will bid for a repeat victory in the Gold Cup (Eng-I).
Queen Elizabeth II was delighted to accept the Cartier Stayer Award for her filly Estimate, who provided one of the high points of the 2013 flat season in England when winning the Gold Cup (Eng-I) at Royal Ascot.
Two Breeders' Cup World Championships winners, two trainers from the iconic Head family, and a filly owned by Her Majesty The Queen were among the honorees Nov. 12 when the 23rd annual Cartier Racing Awards were presented.
A salute to the winners of Royal Ascot 2013. Watch Video
Estimate led in the final furlong of the Gold Cup (Eng-I) June 20 at Royal Ascot and gamely turned back a strong challenge to narrowly prevail in the 2 1/2-mile marathon for owner Queen Elizabeth II.
The Gold Cup (Eng-I) is Ascot's oldest surviving race and attracted 18 entrants for this year's renewal June 20 at the Royal meeting, including previous winners Colour Vision and Rite of Passage.
Fallen For You showed an impressive turn of foot as she drew off in the final furlong to win the $422,500 Coronation Stakes (Eng-I) at Royal Ascot June 22.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Ricardo Beats Baze in Champions Challenge
- Brockton Fair Invites Suffolk Downs Horsemen
- Keeneland September Continues Steady Progress
- Kandaly, 1994 Louisiana Derby Winner, Dies
- MGC Offers Help for Displaced Suffolk Workers
- 2013 Breeding Activity Statistics Released