The U.S. House of Representatives on Dec. 4 passed the Permanent Estate Tax Relief for Families, Farmers, and Small Businesses Act of 2009 (H.R.4154) that would extend and make permanent the 45% inheritance tax and the current $3.5 million exemption, $7 million for married taxpayers, according to an advisory from the American Horse Council.
There are a number of governmental and charitable programs for the purchase of development rights. In these programs, farm owners sell their development rights by placing a perpetual easement on the land restricting the rights of current and future owners to develop the land. When development rights are sold for less than the reduction in fair value resulting from restricting development on the land, a charitable income tax deduction may be available.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Runs Easy in Final Derby Drill
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend
- No Catching Cinco Charlie in William Walker
- StarLadies On Oaks Trail With Eskenformoney
- Mubtaahij in 'Missed Work' at Arlington
- Longshot Si Sage Stuns Field in Last Tycoon
- Effinex Wins Excelsior, Wicked Strong Third
- Longshot Rerun Marches to Miami Mile Score
- Carpe Diem Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- G. G. Ryder Makes Grade in San Francisco Mile