Calvin Borel, who won two-thirds of the Triple Crown on different horses, is among dozens of national sports and entertainment figures who will celebrate the best athletic moments of the year during the 2009 Espys.
- By Claire Novak
Jockey Calvin Borel was the recipient of this year's ESPY award for top jockey and received the award during a presentation ceremony at Hollywood's Kodak Theatre July 11, said the jockey's agent, Jerry Hissam.
Florida import Puxa Saco, victorious in Oak Tree's Anoakia Stakes despite getting banged around at the start, will seek her fourth win in five starts Saturday as the probable favorite in Hollywood Park's $100,000 Moccasin Stakes for 2-year-old fillies at seven furlongs.
Mike Smith hasn't been aboard Composure since she broke her maiden by four lengths at Del Mar on Sept. 7. But along with the filly's connections, he's been keeping a watchful eye on her.
At the ESPY Awards in Los Angeles Wednesday night, Victor Espinoza was chosen as the top jockey. The other finalists were past winners Jerry Bailey and Gary Stevens.
Wednesday's ESPY Awards include the "Outstanding Jockey of the Year" honor.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday
- Texas Chrome Pointing to Dirt Mile
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- Team Block relocating Fort Prado to Indiana
- Amid Gloomy Forecast, Illinois Sets Dates
- Goffs Orby Off to Solid Start
- Broadcast Honors for Santa Anita, NYRA
- Pompa, Brown Connect on Dirt in Pa. Derby
- Eddie D. Stakes Split Into Divisions
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup