Calvin Borel, who won two-thirds of the Triple Crown on different horses, is among dozens of national sports and entertainment figures who will celebrate the best athletic moments of the year during the 2009 Espys.
Jockey Calvin Borel was the recipient of this year's ESPY award for top jockey and received the award during a presentation ceremony at Hollywood's Kodak Theatre July 11, said the jockey's agent, Jerry Hissam.
Florida import Puxa Saco, victorious in Oak Tree's Anoakia Stakes despite getting banged around at the start, will seek her fourth win in five starts Saturday as the probable favorite in Hollywood Park's $100,000 Moccasin Stakes for 2-year-old fillies at seven furlongs.
Mike Smith hasn't been aboard Composure since she broke her maiden by four lengths at Del Mar on Sept. 7. But along with the filly's connections, he's been keeping a watchful eye on her.
At the ESPY Awards in Los Angeles Wednesday night, Victor Espinoza was chosen as the top jockey. The other finalists were past winners Jerry Bailey and Gary Stevens.
Wednesday's ESPY Awards include the "Outstanding Jockey of the Year" honor.
Most Popular Stories
- Martin Defends Sending 'Chrome' to Ascot
- Rivals Back to Challenge Dortmund in SA Derby
- Former Claimer Chases Greatness in SA Oaks
- 2015 Florida Derby Race Sequence
- The Big Beast Returns to the Big Leagues
- Frosted Looking to Rebound in Wood Memorial
- Grade II Winner Williamstown Dead at 25
- Condo Commando Tops Gazelle Contenders
- Blinkers On 'Truth Or Else' in Arkansas Derby
- Blue Grass Hopefuls Train at Keeneland