The number of people in the United States who said they are interested in Thoroughbred racing increased for a fifth consecutive year, according to national consumer research data released March 21 by ESPN Sports Poll, a division of TNS Sport.
- By Tom LaMarra
Horse racing continues to gain ground in popularity and measures up very well compared with other major league sports, according to the latest information from the ESPN Sports Poll.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick -- The NTRA is not "over the hump" yet and is not able to act as a league office similar to other sports.
- By Tom LaMarra
The National Thoroughbred Racing Association has made tangible progress over the past year, but the goal of becoming a national office for a major league sport is still dangling like a carrot, commissioner Tim Smith said Sept. 22 during the organization's Annual Meeting and Marketing Summit.
A large majority of casual Thoroughbred racing fans said they had heard of the Breeders' Cup, but more than half did not know it was racing's championship event, according to an ESPN Sports Poll conducted last year.
The $1-million Mystery Mutuel Voucher, one of the National Thoroughbred Racing Association's most successful promotions of 2000, will be offered twice this year, it was announced on Tuesday during the NTRA's Marketing Summit in Las Vegas, Nev. The first promotion will be July 28, with the second giveaway scheduled in late fall on a date to be announced.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- Fast Uncle Mo Filly Tops F-T Midlantic Sale
- Friesan Fire Colt Tops Midlantic at $825,000
- What is Uncle Mo Worth?
- Possible NYRA Plan Concerns Saratoga Group
- So Far, Seven Pointing for Belmont Park
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Call for Support