The mares took center stage at Rosehill Gardens April 19 with the running of the group I Coolmore Classic over seven and a half furlongs - just for females.
This has not been a normal year in Australian racing by any stretch of the imagination so it was probably understandable that when the runners reached the starting gates for the AUS$2.6million Caulfield Cup (Aus-I) over 12 furlongs, things would be abnormal too. And they were.
There was to be no Rags to Riches outcome from the BMW Queensland Derby (Aus-I) at Eagle Farm racecourse on Saturday when favored Eskimo Queen, winner of last week's Queensland Oaks (Aus-I) took a tumble with five furlongs remaining.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- CHRB Allows Miyadi to Continue Training
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Another Try for Metaboss in John Henry Turf
- Stopchargingmaria in F-T November Sale
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System
- Impressive Maiden Winners Try Pilgrim Stakes