The mares took center stage at Rosehill Gardens April 19 with the running of the group I Coolmore Classic over seven and a half furlongs - just for females.
This has not been a normal year in Australian racing by any stretch of the imagination so it was probably understandable that when the runners reached the starting gates for the AUS$2.6million Caulfield Cup (Aus-I) over 12 furlongs, things would be abnormal too. And they were.
There was to be no Rags to Riches outcome from the BMW Queensland Derby (Aus-I) at Eagle Farm racecourse on Saturday when favored Eskimo Queen, winner of last week's Queensland Oaks (Aus-I) took a tumble with five furlongs remaining.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- Hard Aces Too Tough in Cougar II
- Beholder Brilliant in Del Mar Breeze
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Nyquist Logs Final Work for Haskell
- Lanerie Scores Unusual Double at Ellis Park
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury