The mares took center stage at Rosehill Gardens April 19 with the running of the group I Coolmore Classic over seven and a half furlongs - just for females.
This has not been a normal year in Australian racing by any stretch of the imagination so it was probably understandable that when the runners reached the starting gates for the AUS$2.6million Caulfield Cup (Aus-I) over 12 furlongs, things would be abnormal too. And they were.
There was to be no Rags to Riches outcome from the BMW Queensland Derby (Aus-I) at Eagle Farm racecourse on Saturday when favored Eskimo Queen, winner of last week's Queensland Oaks (Aus-I) took a tumble with five furlongs remaining.
Most Popular Stories
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes to Add Filly Race
- Cathryn Sophia Voted Top Midlantic-Bred for 2016
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Mexikoma to Stand at Keen Farms
- A Look Back at Quack's California Derby
- PA Development Fund Helped Brandt Expand Feed Business
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- What's Going On Here: No Bid, No Win
- National HBPA Set for Convention in March in Las Vegas