The mares took center stage at Rosehill Gardens April 19 with the running of the group I Coolmore Classic over seven and a half furlongs - just for females.
This has not been a normal year in Australian racing by any stretch of the imagination so it was probably understandable that when the runners reached the starting gates for the AUS$2.6million Caulfield Cup (Aus-I) over 12 furlongs, things would be abnormal too. And they were.
There was to be no Rags to Riches outcome from the BMW Queensland Derby (Aus-I) at Eagle Farm racecourse on Saturday when favored Eskimo Queen, winner of last week's Queensland Oaks (Aus-I) took a tumble with five furlongs remaining.
Most Popular Stories
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Chasing Landaluce
- U.S. Horses Face Tough Test in Hong Kong
- Jockey De La Cruz Registers 1,000th Victory
- Zia Park Reports 14% Increase in 2013 Handle
- Hollendorfer Sends Out Pair in Bayakoa
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Dale Romans - Little Mike
- That Handicapping Show: Claiming Crown 2013
- House Subcommittee to Discuss Internet Gaming
- Wagering Up More Than 4% in November