Hours after the June 3 death of Escena, champion older mare of 1998, her 4-year-old son Rock Scene won a maiden special weight event at Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course.
Champion Escena, who won the 1998 Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) at Churchill Downs, died June 3 at Diamond A Farms near Versailles, Ky.
Although the Hall of Fame trainer is closely associated with the legendary Cigar, he has always had that 'je ne sais quoi' with the fillies, including Breeders' Cup contenders Emollient and Close Hatches.
Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens shares his favorite Breeders' Cup memories, talks about the hardest Breeders' Cup races to win, and fills us in on his roster of runners as he returns from a seven-year absence.
Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott sent out winner No. 4,000 Aug. 7 when Sequoia Racing's Mystic won the seventh race at Saratoga Race Course.
Champions Soaring Softly and Escena produced foals Feb. 16.
Favored De Bertie pulled away from longshots Sara's Success and Lily's Affair in the final strides to win the $75,400 Escena Stakes on Friday at Gulfstream Park. Jockey Manuel Aguilar appeared to escape serious injury after he was thrown to the track on the first turn.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Outwork, Destin Turn in Final Derby Breezes
- Olorda Front-Running Winner of Bewitch
- 3 Kentucky Derby Longshots to Consider
- Lady Shipman Returns to U.S. In License Fee
- Le Havre colt a Guineas sale pinhook coup
- Lani Works in Perplexing Fashion