Two-time Canadian Horse of the Year Chief Bearhart, who stood at the Japan Bloodhorse Breeders' Association Shizunai Stallion Station, died Sept. 18 of acute heart failure.
Rainbows for Life, a three-time Canadian champion who was a leading sire in the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic, was euthanized Sept. 1 because of the infirmities of old age.
Radiant Ring, a Canadian Broodmare of the Year, was euthanized May 3 at age 23 because of complications from old age.
Wilderness Song, a Canadian Hall of Fame racemare, has been euthanized at Sam-Son Farm near Milton, Ontario, Canada.
The late Tammy Samuel-Balaz, who took charge of Sam-Son Farm following the death of her father, Ernie Samuel, in 2000, has joined her dad in the Canadian Horse Racing Hall Fame.
Sam-Son Farm, one of Canada's most successful Thoroughbred breeding and racing operations, will have a consignment at the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga select yearling auction, Aug. 10 and 11, in New York. The five horses cataloged include an A.P. Indy colt that is a full brother to Canadian champion Catch the Thrill and a Giant's Causeway filly that is from the family of Eclipse Award winner and Canadian Horse of the Year and Triple Crown winner Dance Smartly.
Tammy Samuel-Balaz, whose family bred and raced champion Dance Smartly and leading sire Smart Strike, among numerous others, under their Sam-Son banner, died Jan. 5 in Canada after battling cancer. She was 47.
The story of Dance Smartly, inducted into the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame on Aug. 4, epitomizes the powerful breeding empire first developed by Ernie Samuel more than three decades ago.
Loudrangle, one of Sam-Son Farm's foundation mares and 1986 Canadian broodmare of the year, died Dec. 12.
The Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association named four owners as recipients of its 2001 Regional Owner of the Year Awards.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment