Jockey Erick Rodriguez was transported to Sinai Hospital for X-rays on his left knee and abdomen after he was thrown from his mount during the sixth race at Pimlico Race Course May 25.
Kenneth and Sara Ramsey's Precious Kitten grabbed the lead mid-stretch and held off a hard charging Meribel to upset the $200,000 Martha Washington Breeders' Cup for 3-year-old fillies by a neck on the turf at Laurel Park Saturday.
Jockey Steve Hamilton, the third leading rider at the major Maryland tracks this year, has decided to take off the remainder of 2005. The 32-year-old captured the Pimlico spring meeting for the second straight year and has 107 victories at Pimlico and Laurel Park this year.
Jockey Erick Rodriguez was sent to the hospital for x-rays on his tailbone after being thrown from his mount in an eventful seventh race at Laurel Park Thursday.
Journeyman jockey Erick Rodriguez, fourth in the rider standings at Laurel Park, will be out of action for up to six weeks after fracturing four vertebrae in the T-spine section in his back in a spill during Thursday's fourth race.
Jozbin Santana, who fractured his left leg in a spill at Pimlico on Aug. 13, returned to the saddle for the first time Thursday and visited the winners' circle with his first mount.
The Maryland State Fair at Timonium will host eight days of Thoroughbred racing, featuring two stakes Aug. 28 through Labor Day, Sept. 6. The two stakes for Maryland-breds are the $50,000 Alma North and the $50,000 Taking Risk Stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Looking to Retain His Throne
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Champion English Channel Relocates to Calumet
- Understanding the Biomechanics of Lameness
- Wise Dan to Make Return in Bernard Baruch
- Thoro-Graph Products Added to Equibase.com
- Tiz Wonderful Colt Sells for OKC Sale Record
- Storm and a Half to Stand in Iowa
- Unbeaten Taghrooda Heads Yorkshire Oaks
- Haskin's Top Sprinters of the Last 50 Years