Owners of three Thoroughbreds hospitalized after receiving a compounded drug from Wickliffe Veterinary Pharmacy allege the Lexington company was negligent.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reports the number of Thoroughbreds who died after receiving a compounded drug from Wickliffe Pharmacy in Lexington, Ky. has grown to four, and six others have become ill.
A University of Florida veterinarian said a compounded drug from the Wickliffe Pharmacy in Lexington may have led to the deaths of two Thoroughbreds and caused neurological disturbances with six others.
Few equine conditions cause as much consternation as equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM). Download Now
Eclipse Award winner Princess Rooney has been diagnosed with equine protozoal myeloencephalitis and is being treated at Gentry Brothers Farm near Lexington.
Additional testing has been ordered on tissue samples from a horse that tested positive for the equineherpes virus (EHV-1) Feb. 24 at Philadelphia Park.
Researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Ohio State University have made a major breakthrough in equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM), finding that the raccoon can serve as an intermediate host for Sarcocystis neurona, the single-celled protozoan parasite that causes the neurological disease.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Aims to Give Summers First Win
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement