Few equine conditions cause as much consternation as equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM). Download Now
Eclipse Award winner Princess Rooney has been diagnosed with equine protozoal myeloencephalitis and is being treated at Gentry Brothers Farm near Lexington.
Additional testing has been ordered on tissue samples from a horse that tested positive for the equineherpes virus (EHV-1) Feb. 24 at Philadelphia Park.
Researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Ohio State University have made a major breakthrough in equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM), finding that the raccoon can serve as an intermediate host for Sarcocystis neurona, the single-celled protozoan parasite that causes the neurological disease.
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- Honor Code to Bypass Rebel, Run at Gulfstream
- Sweet Reason Comes Back a Winner
- Midshipman Colt Posts Fastest Ocala Drill
- Big 'Cap was 'Holy Grail' for Trainer Jones
- Stakes Winner S. S. Hot Sauce Dead at 33
- Geeky Gorgeous Named New Jersey Horse of Year
- Full OBS March Sale to be Conducted Tuesday
- Haskin: 'Horseplayers' and Pioneer Days