Few equine conditions cause as much consternation as equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM). Download Now
Eclipse Award winner Princess Rooney has been diagnosed with equine protozoal myeloencephalitis and is being treated at Gentry Brothers Farm near Lexington.
Additional testing has been ordered on tissue samples from a horse that tested positive for the equineherpes virus (EHV-1) Feb. 24 at Philadelphia Park.
Researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Ohio State University have made a major breakthrough in equine protozoal myeloencephalitis (EPM), finding that the raccoon can serve as an intermediate host for Sarcocystis neurona, the single-celled protozoan parasite that causes the neurological disease.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing is Ripe for More Advanced Statistics
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- NYRA Chief Discusses Aspects of Growth Plan
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- BloodHorse.com New Navigation Tour
- Suffolk Casino Project to be Put to New Vote
- Arqana Sale Closes With Records
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds