A horse at Hawthorne was euthanized Nov. 26 and a necropsy revealed the horse had EHV-1. It is the fourth horse to die of the disease during the Hawthorne fall meet.
On Nov. 16, track officials confirmed a horse who died Nov. 14 and one other ailing horse had tested positive for EHV-1. The deceased horse is the third confirmed death from EHV-1 during the outbreak.
Following discussions with state veterinarians, the Department of Agriculture, and consultants from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture, the decision was made to put a quarantine of the affected barn in place.
Calder restricts training hours, racing entry of horses in two barns that may have been exposed to neurological form of equine herpesvirus type-1 (EHV-1). Regulations expected to last into early January.
In anticipation of the quarantine at Pimlico Race Course being lifted next week, 11 trainers entered 14 horses Friday for the Feb. 8 card at Laurel Park.
Horses stabled in a second Churchill Downs barn placed under quarantine by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture because of confirmed cases of equine herpes virus at the track will be allowed to return to limited training on May 23.
A restriction on horses shipping into Philadelphia Park from Penn National due to three horses testing positive for equine herpesvirus type 1 (EHV-1) at Penn may be lifted early next week, officials for both Pennsylvania racetracks said Wednesday.
A mare or mares imported from North America to Victoria are believed to be at the center of the latest outbreaks of the equine herpes virus or Equine Rhinopneumonitis virus (EHV-1) in Australia.
Most Popular Stories
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- Catastrophic Equine Injuries' Impact on Jockey Injuries
- 'Chrome' Set for San Antonio, Bayern Doubtful
- 74-Year-Old Horseplayer Wins 2015 NHC Title
- Flashy Debut for Royal Delta Half Brother
- Desormeaux Sets Derby Path for Texas Red
- Wildcat Red Sidelined with Back Muscle Pull
- Sportive Overcomes Fog to Win Portland Mile
- Options Abound for Holy Bull Winner Upstart
- Upstart Proves Class in Holy Bull