Jockey Enrique Jurado suffered shoulder and knee injuries the evening of Sept. 20 when Risk Assessment, a 3-year-old filly he was riding in the fourth race at Presque Isle Downs, broke down after crossing the finish line.
Barkley Sound kept his perfect Tampa Bay Downs record intact by winning the $75,000 Pasco Stakes for 3-year-olds Saturday in the time of 1:24.1 for the seven-furlong distance.
After a brief freshening, Germania Farms' Abbondanza roared back into action with a victory in the $85,000 Fire Plug Stakes for older horses on Martin Luther King Day Monday at Laurel Park.
The last time he raced at Pimlico, Yankee Wildcat set the five-furlong turf track record. Saturday, on a yielding course, he merely blew away his opposition to win the $75,000 Mister Diz Stakes for Maryland breds.
Michael Gill's Bay Eagle just lasted to upset 1-2 favorite Jaki's Magic in the $50,000 Daniel Van Clief Stakes for Virginia-breds at Colonial Downs on Saturday.
The last time Barclay Tagg was at Pimlico Race Course, he saddled Funny Cide to a near record performance in winning the Preakness Stakes (gr. I). Saturday, he returned to Old Hilltop from his New York-base to see his Conservation upset odds-on favorite Foufa's Warrior in the $60,000 Humphrey Finney Stakes for 3-year old Maryland-breds.
After one wild ride, jockey Horatio Karamanos and his mount, Tam's Terms, came on to win Saturday's $50,000 Da Hoss Stakes at Colonial Downs after appearing to be hopelessly beaten.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- KHRC Drug Tests: Turfway Meet 'Cleanest'
- Lord Windermere Prevails in Gold Cup Photo
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- KY House Speaker: Gambling Amendment Dead
- Kentucky Horsemen Prepped on New Drug Rules
- Trainer Michael D'Angelo Dies at 55
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Fair Grounds Hall of Fame Inducts Proud Spell