Locals broke the bank early Saturday evening at Minnesota's Canterbury Park with upset victories in three of seven races that comprised the Claiming Crown, but it was an Eclipse Award-winning owner who took home the top prize in the featured $150,000 Claiming Crown Jewel.
Grade II winner Boston Common, who won or placed in 13 stakes since being claimed by Richard Englander for $50,000, was euthanized after suffering a condylar fracture in his right front leg.
Richard Englander's Garden in the Rain, who placed in five stakes after being claimed, has been retired and will be bred to War Chant.
There was money showing on the board, Richard Englander liked his breeding, and trainer Michael Pino liked his physical appearance. For $50,000, they decided to take a chance on Boston Common.
Richard Englander's Sing Because tracked an honest pace set by Power of Humor and Five Straight, then drew off in the stretch to win Saturday's $150,000 Claiming Crown Jewel Stakes at Canterbury Park.
Richard Englander's Devine Wind collared pacesetter River Keen in the stretch and drew away to a one-length win over Irish Prize in the $200,000 Bay Meadows Handicap (gr. IIIT) Saturday at Bay Meadows. Claimed for $40,000 at Hollywood Park in May, Devine Wind earned $110,000 and his first stakes victory with the win.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Reflects on Arrogate's Travers Romp
- Arrogate Blazes to Travers Record
- Cavorting to Distaff, Mohaymen Gets Time Off
- Belvoir Bay Makes the Grade in Torrey Pines
- Arrogate's Romp Enhances Half Sister's Value
- War Front Gets 50th Black-Type Winner
- Love the Chase to Sell at F-T November
- Strike Charmer Bests Lady Eli in Ballston Spa
- Romero Rides First Winner at Indiana Grand
- Baffert Forever Linked to Unbridled's Song