One of the pioneers of the New York breeding program, Gustave C. Schoenborn Sr. died May 11 at his home in Coxsackie, N.Y., following a short illness.
The Barclay Tagg-trained Dave took advantage of a clear outside trip under jockey Joe Bravo to win the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) over the yielding turf at Aqueduct Nov. 10.
It was a crowded Saratoga Race Course on Sunday afternoon with a paid attendance of 70,792, but Dave and jockey Jose Santos found plenty of room in the lane, coming away with a one-length victory in the $113,600 West Point Handicap on the turf for New York-breds.
New York stallion Ends Well was euthanized at Gus Schoenborn Jr.'s Contemporary Stallions near Coxsackie the morning of Oct. 25.
Most Popular Stories
- Mine That Bird Movie Premieres March 19
- One for the Roses: Social Inclusion
- NY-Bred Stakes Program Adds 2014 Enhancements
- Charles Town to Make Donation to CANTER
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel