One of the pioneers of the New York breeding program, Gustave C. Schoenborn Sr. died May 11 at his home in Coxsackie, N.Y., following a short illness.
The Barclay Tagg-trained Dave took advantage of a clear outside trip under jockey Joe Bravo to win the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) over the yielding turf at Aqueduct Nov. 10.
It was a crowded Saratoga Race Course on Sunday afternoon with a paid attendance of 70,792, but Dave and jockey Jose Santos found plenty of room in the lane, coming away with a one-length victory in the $113,600 West Point Handicap on the turf for New York-breds.
New York stallion Ends Well was euthanized at Gus Schoenborn Jr.'s Contemporary Stallions near Coxsackie the morning of Oct. 25.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Outwork, Destin Turn in Final Derby Breezes
- Olorda Front-Running Winner of Bewitch
- 3 Kentucky Derby Longshots to Consider
- Lani Works in Perplexing Fashion
- Lady Shipman Returns to U.S. In License Fee
- Le Havre colt a Guineas sale pinhook coup