One of the pioneers of the New York breeding program, Gustave C. Schoenborn Sr. died May 11 at his home in Coxsackie, N.Y., following a short illness.
The Barclay Tagg-trained Dave took advantage of a clear outside trip under jockey Joe Bravo to win the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) over the yielding turf at Aqueduct Nov. 10.
It was a crowded Saratoga Race Course on Sunday afternoon with a paid attendance of 70,792, but Dave and jockey Jose Santos found plenty of room in the lane, coming away with a one-length victory in the $113,600 West Point Handicap on the turf for New York-breds.
New York stallion Ends Well was euthanized at Gus Schoenborn Jr.'s Contemporary Stallions near Coxsackie the morning of Oct. 25.
Most Popular Stories
- Euros Inside and Out After Japan Cup Draw
- Rainha De Bateria Heads Durante at Del Mar
- Blueskiesnrainbows Among 7 for Native Diver
- Chrome to Go for the Green in Hollywood Derby
- Secret Circle, Itsmyluckyday in Cigar Mile
- Churchill Proposes Derby Bet on Winning Sire
- Derby Winners Have Enjoyed Turf Success
- Cary Street Leads 11 in Hawthorne Gold Cup
- Lord Nelson Could Rule Kentucky Jockey Club
- Speedy Cassatt Dusts Rivals in Zia Park Oaks