One of the pioneers of the New York breeding program, Gustave C. Schoenborn Sr. died May 11 at his home in Coxsackie, N.Y., following a short illness.
The Barclay Tagg-trained Dave took advantage of a clear outside trip under jockey Joe Bravo to win the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) over the yielding turf at Aqueduct Nov. 10.
It was a crowded Saratoga Race Course on Sunday afternoon with a paid attendance of 70,792, but Dave and jockey Jose Santos found plenty of room in the lane, coming away with a one-length victory in the $113,600 West Point Handicap on the turf for New York-breds.
New York stallion Ends Well was euthanized at Gus Schoenborn Jr.'s Contemporary Stallions near Coxsackie the morning of Oct. 25.
Most Popular Stories
- Is Early Detection of Arthritis in Horses Finally a Reality?
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Lady Pimpernel Gets First U.S. Win in Frankel
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Taris to be Sidelined After Injury in La Brea
- Distinctiv Passion Rockets to Midnight Lute
- Ghost Bay Breaks Maiden in Maryland Juvenile