One of the pioneers of the New York breeding program, Gustave C. Schoenborn Sr. died May 11 at his home in Coxsackie, N.Y., following a short illness.
The Barclay Tagg-trained Dave took advantage of a clear outside trip under jockey Joe Bravo to win the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) over the yielding turf at Aqueduct Nov. 10.
It was a crowded Saratoga Race Course on Sunday afternoon with a paid attendance of 70,792, but Dave and jockey Jose Santos found plenty of room in the lane, coming away with a one-length victory in the $113,600 West Point Handicap on the turf for New York-breds.
New York stallion Ends Well was euthanized at Gus Schoenborn Jr.'s Contemporary Stallions near Coxsackie the morning of Oct. 25.
Most Popular Stories
- Travers Favorite Bayern Arrives at Saratoga
- King's Bishop: Coup de Grace vs. Wildcat Red
- Heated Rivalry Rekindled in Del Mar Handicap
- Ready to Act, Daring Kathy Vie at Woodbine
- Starstruck Heads Cast in Monmouth's Violet
- Shared Belief Looking to Retain His Throne
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Better Lucky Sticks With Dirt for Ballerina
- Australia Easy Juddmonte International Winner
- FDA Sends Warning Letter to Compounding Firm