One of the pioneers of the New York breeding program, Gustave C. Schoenborn Sr. died May 11 at his home in Coxsackie, N.Y., following a short illness.
The Barclay Tagg-trained Dave took advantage of a clear outside trip under jockey Joe Bravo to win the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) over the yielding turf at Aqueduct Nov. 10.
It was a crowded Saratoga Race Course on Sunday afternoon with a paid attendance of 70,792, but Dave and jockey Jose Santos found plenty of room in the lane, coming away with a one-length victory in the $113,600 West Point Handicap on the turf for New York-breds.
New York stallion Ends Well was euthanized at Gus Schoenborn Jr.'s Contemporary Stallions near Coxsackie the morning of Oct. 25.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- Queen of The Sand Rebounds in Santa Barbara
- Whiskey Ticket Wins IL Derby Like a Pro
- One Lucky Dane Off Derby Trail After Workout
- Hootenanny Successful in Season Debut
- Bodhisattva Gets Classic Credential in Tesio
- Taketheodds, Russell Road Win at Charles Town
- Cozmic One Lacks Late Kick in Debut
- Dortmund Records Bullet Work at Santa Anita