One of the pioneers of the New York breeding program, Gustave C. Schoenborn Sr. died May 11 at his home in Coxsackie, N.Y., following a short illness.
The Barclay Tagg-trained Dave took advantage of a clear outside trip under jockey Joe Bravo to win the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) over the yielding turf at Aqueduct Nov. 10.
It was a crowded Saratoga Race Course on Sunday afternoon with a paid attendance of 70,792, but Dave and jockey Jose Santos found plenty of room in the lane, coming away with a one-length victory in the $113,600 West Point Handicap on the turf for New York-breds.
New York stallion Ends Well was euthanized at Gus Schoenborn Jr.'s Contemporary Stallions near Coxsackie the morning of Oct. 25.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- R. A. Hill Stable Buys Into Breaking Lucky
- Stonestreet to Sponsor Lexington Stakes, Purse Boosted
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- The Curse of Haskin
- Metaboss to Harris Farms in California
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm