One of the pioneers of the New York breeding program, Gustave C. Schoenborn Sr. died May 11 at his home in Coxsackie, N.Y., following a short illness.
The Barclay Tagg-trained Dave took advantage of a clear outside trip under jockey Joe Bravo to win the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) over the yielding turf at Aqueduct Nov. 10.
It was a crowded Saratoga Race Course on Sunday afternoon with a paid attendance of 70,792, but Dave and jockey Jose Santos found plenty of room in the lane, coming away with a one-length victory in the $113,600 West Point Handicap on the turf for New York-breds.
New York stallion Ends Well was euthanized at Gus Schoenborn Jr.'s Contemporary Stallions near Coxsackie the morning of Oct. 25.
Most Popular Stories
- Ortiz, Castellano Finish in Tie at Belmont
- Story to Tell, La Grange Win Juvenile Stakes
- New Journeyman Cabrera Wins Lone Star Title
- Wildcat Red Posts Bullet Breeze for Haskell
- Initial Win Noted for Louisiana Sire Orthodox
- No Catching Unspurned in Bison City Stakes
- A Conversation With Michael Straight
- Gallante Shocks Soggy Grand Prix de Paris
- Apprentice LaRicci Tallies With First Mount
- Positive Outlook for Fasig-Tipton Yearlings