One of the pioneers of the New York breeding program, Gustave C. Schoenborn Sr. died May 11 at his home in Coxsackie, N.Y., following a short illness.
The Barclay Tagg-trained Dave took advantage of a clear outside trip under jockey Joe Bravo to win the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) over the yielding turf at Aqueduct Nov. 10.
It was a crowded Saratoga Race Course on Sunday afternoon with a paid attendance of 70,792, but Dave and jockey Jose Santos found plenty of room in the lane, coming away with a one-length victory in the $113,600 West Point Handicap on the turf for New York-breds.
New York stallion Ends Well was euthanized at Gus Schoenborn Jr.'s Contemporary Stallions near Coxsackie the morning of Oct. 25.
Most Popular Stories
- Ascend, Bigger Picture to Clash in Bowling Green
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Look Back: Bernardini's Dandy Score at Saratoga
- Looking for Longshots at Saratoga
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- Dual Oaks winner Enable Steps Up in King George
- Paulassilverlining Shows Her Mettle in Honorable Miss
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Curlin Road Wears Down Hard Aces in Cougar II