Breeders' Cup Mile winner's battle with laminitis nearing a happy ending; may be discharged as early as next week.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
Proud Spell stamped herself as a top contender for the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) by winning the 8.5-furlong Fair Grounds Oaks (gr. II) in 1:44.01, a shade faster than the 1:44.44 that Pyro ran in the Louisiana Derby (gr. II). She is the leading runner to date for the second-crop sire Proud Citizen. Considering Proud Citizen ran better at 3, more of his runners are expected to blossom this year. Keep an eye in particular on those horses whose dams have Northern Dancer blood.
Encino, the 10th highest-priced yearling of 1978, died in June of natural causes at Frances Beckett's Beckett Ranches near Colton, Calif.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Force Upsets New York Derby
- Oaklawn Improvements Include New Barn
- Filly First Winner for Here Comes Ben
- Catalog Online for Barretts Select Sale
- Two Share Record Price at Arqana Summer Sale
- Pedigree Analysis: Olympia
- Laurel Cancels Racing Due to Water Main Break
- 'Evolution of Racing' Approaches in Lexington
- Main Sequence Class of Loaded United Nations