Tosen Jordan partnered with Italian jockey Nicola Pinna to upset a strong field in the 2011 Emperor's Cup at Tokyo Racecourse Oct. 30 in record time. Defending champion and race favorite Buena Vista finished fourth.
Race favorite American-bred Symboli Kris S (Kris S.--Tee Kay, by Gold Meridian) answered fans expectations Nov. 2 with a record win of the fall version of the prestigious Emperor's Cup at Tokyo Racecourse. It was the first time in the race's 64-year history that a horse has won the fall version two years in a row, the third year in a row foreign-bred runners have topped the field.
Darkhorses Hishi Miracle and Sunrise Jaeger turned the tables on the top picks May 4 at Kyoto with a one-two surprise finish in the spring Emperor's Cup (Jpn-I).
Foreign-bred stock once again captured the fall Emperor's Cup, Japan's most prestigious race and one long preserved as an exclusive showcase for the country's breeders when Symboli Kris S. won the race Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah to Continue Racing
- Curlin to Hill 'n' Dale in 2016
- Florida Sire Stakes Series Continues Sept. 5
- Rachel's Valentina, Tonasah Head Spinaway
- USADA Contributes to Steroid Crackdown
- Del Mar Debutante Field Talented and Diverse
- Spendthrift Out Front with Top Sires' Fees
- Back to Business for Liam's Map in Woodward
- Goldy Espony on Streak Entering Glens Falls
- No Stability with Texas Commission Funding