Tosen Jordan partnered with Italian jockey Nicola Pinna to upset a strong field in the 2011 Emperor's Cup at Tokyo Racecourse Oct. 30 in record time. Defending champion and race favorite Buena Vista finished fourth.
Race favorite American-bred Symboli Kris S (Kris S.--Tee Kay, by Gold Meridian) answered fans expectations Nov. 2 with a record win of the fall version of the prestigious Emperor's Cup at Tokyo Racecourse. It was the first time in the race's 64-year history that a horse has won the fall version two years in a row, the third year in a row foreign-bred runners have topped the field.
Darkhorses Hishi Miracle and Sunrise Jaeger turned the tables on the top picks May 4 at Kyoto with a one-two surprise finish in the spring Emperor's Cup (Jpn-I).
Foreign-bred stock once again captured the fall Emperor's Cup, Japan's most prestigious race and one long preserved as an exclusive showcase for the country's breeders when Symboli Kris S. won the race Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist's BC Work Less Than Ideal
- Smile for Daddy
- Getting Started on Breeders' Cup Handicapping
- California Chrome 'Fit' for BC After Work
- Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries Total 185
- Beholder, Frosted Drill at Santa Anita
- Living The Life Retired, Won't Run in BC
- Let the Breeders' Cup Handicapping Begin!
- Charismatic Moving to Old Friends
- Rachel Alexandra Breeder Morrison dies