The Aga Khan's Sarafina, a multiple group I winner, drew post 2 in a nine-horse field in the Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) and was made the 5-2 morning-line favorite for the $3 million race.
Celtic New Year, coming from off the pace, got through an opening in the stretch and held off heavy favorite Bourbon Bay and Imponente Purse in a tight finish in the $200,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) on the turf Aug. 28.
The turf course at Churchill Downs was the center of attention for some European trainers and jockeys of horses entered in the Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Khalid Abdullah's Workforce, the Arc (Fr-I) and Epsom Derby (Eng-I) winner, was made the 7-5 morning line favorite for the Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT).
Winner of four consecutive grade I events, the mare works four furlongs in :51 3/5.
Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) when he rallied from dead last to overtake pacestting Presious Passion in deep stretch to capture the $3 million event at Santa Anita Nov. 7.
Conduit and Red Rocks, the respective 2008 and 2006 winners of the Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT), are among the eight horses entered in the $3-million, 1 1/2 mile turf test.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx