The Aga Khan's Sarafina, a multiple group I winner, drew post 2 in a nine-horse field in the Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) and was made the 5-2 morning-line favorite for the $3 million race.
Celtic New Year, coming from off the pace, got through an opening in the stretch and held off heavy favorite Bourbon Bay and Imponente Purse in a tight finish in the $200,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) on the turf Aug. 28.
The turf course at Churchill Downs was the center of attention for some European trainers and jockeys of horses entered in the Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Khalid Abdullah's Workforce, the Arc (Fr-I) and Epsom Derby (Eng-I) winner, was made the 7-5 morning line favorite for the Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT).
Winner of four consecutive grade I events, the mare works four furlongs in :51 3/5.
Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) when he rallied from dead last to overtake pacestting Presious Passion in deep stretch to capture the $3 million event at Santa Anita Nov. 7.
Conduit and Red Rocks, the respective 2008 and 2006 winners of the Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT), are among the eight horses entered in the $3-million, 1 1/2 mile turf test.
Most Popular Stories
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Red Reveur Upsets Hanshin Juvenile Fillies
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Apprentice Jockey Vanessa Fry Wins Her First
- Multiple Grade I Winner Flat Out Retired
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Ed Dunlop - Red Cadeaux
- Broken Sword Never Looks Back in Bayakoa Win