The Aga Khan's Sarafina, a multiple group I winner, drew post 2 in a nine-horse field in the Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) and was made the 5-2 morning-line favorite for the $3 million race.
Celtic New Year, coming from off the pace, got through an opening in the stretch and held off heavy favorite Bourbon Bay and Imponente Purse in a tight finish in the $200,000 Del Mar Handicap (gr. IIT) on the turf Aug. 28.
The turf course at Churchill Downs was the center of attention for some European trainers and jockeys of horses entered in the Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Khalid Abdullah's Workforce, the Arc (Fr-I) and Epsom Derby (Eng-I) winner, was made the 7-5 morning line favorite for the Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT).
Winner of four consecutive grade I events, the mare works four furlongs in :51 3/5.
Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) when he rallied from dead last to overtake pacestting Presious Passion in deep stretch to capture the $3 million event at Santa Anita Nov. 7.
Conduit and Red Rocks, the respective 2008 and 2006 winners of the Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT), are among the eight horses entered in the $3-million, 1 1/2 mile turf test.
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Owner/Breeder Aaron Jones Dies
- McEvoy Steps Down as Godolphin Jockey
- Consignors Busy Ahead of Louisiana Sale
- Champion Will Take Charge Retired
- Heart to Heart Among Eight for Jefferson Cup
- Shared Belief Needs to be Awesome...Again
- Juddmonte's Elite Miler Kingman Retired
- Goldencents to Remain in California
- Al Shaqab's Toronado to National Stud in 2015
- Indiana Immediately Suspends Two Licensees