Daniel A. Herrmann's Emerald Earrings, winner of this year's West Long Branch and Monmouth Beach Stakes at Monmouth Park, has been retired from racing. The 5-year-old daughter of Helmsman will be offered in the Keeneland November breeding stock sale.
Jockey Javier Castellano dropped the left rein briefly aboard Love Match at the start of the $150,000 Taylor Made Matchmaker (gr. IIIT), but it wasn't enough to keep the 5-year-old mare from registering a 27-1 surprise Sunday on the Monmouth Park turf.
Last year La Reason shipped into Monmouth Park from Kentucky to win the $300,000 Molly Pitcher Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II). This year she'll try to record back-to-back wins in the 1 1/16-mile race as a member of the home team after trainer David Vance relocated his stable from Churchill Downs to the New Jersey oval.
Smart N Classy, New Jersey breeder John Bowers Jr.'s successful fourth-generation mare, goes after her first graded stakes victory Sunday in the $150,000 Eatontown Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Monmouth Park turf.
Bank Audit shoots for her third grade II victory of the season in the $150,000 Vagrancy Handicap on Sunday, the day after the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) at 6 1/2 furlongs.
Most Popular Stories
- Alto Aims High With Materiality
- Bold Conquest Not Likely for Derby AE List
- NY to Consider Rule on Decoupled Entries
- Kentucky Derby: Dortmund Gets a Bath
- Bill Cooke & Calumet Farm's Trophy Collection
- American Pharoah Has Lone Churchill Breeze
- Dortmund, Other CA Shippers Arrive at CD
- Three Derby Hopefuls Have Derby-Winning Sires
- Three to Represent New York in Derby
- Champ Calgary Cat Up Late in Jacques Cartier