An evenly matched field of a dozen 3-year-olds, including a pair of fillies, are set to reach the starting gate in the $300,000 Canadian Derby presented by Canem Systems Aug. 20 at Northlands Park in Edmonton, Alberta.
Four of the current top 10 freshman sires of 2010 already have juvenile stakes winners. Alan Porter takes an early look at what's working with pedigree crosses for this year's 'young guns.'
Eugene and Laura Melnyk's Paynes Bay has been retired from racing and will stand the 2004 breeding season at T.C. Westmeath Farm near Shelburne, Ontario. His fee will be $2,500 (Canadian funds).
Stakes winner Truckee has been relocated to Magali Farms near Santz Ynez, Calif., from Lakeview Thoroughbred Farm near Lakeview in the Golden State.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- American Freedom Clear Winner in Iowa Derby
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- As Borell Released, Cruelty Laws Questioned
- Top Caribbean Race to Be Held at Gulfstream
- Melmich Victorious in Dominion Day
- Wake Forest Heads United Nations
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Globetrotting Tepin Preps for Saratoga Ship
- The Paralyzed Jockey Who's Still in the Race