An evenly matched field of a dozen 3-year-olds, including a pair of fillies, are set to reach the starting gate in the $300,000 Canadian Derby presented by Canem Systems Aug. 20 at Northlands Park in Edmonton, Alberta.
Four of the current top 10 freshman sires of 2010 already have juvenile stakes winners. Alan Porter takes an early look at what's working with pedigree crosses for this year's 'young guns.'
Eugene and Laura Melnyk's Paynes Bay has been retired from racing and will stand the 2004 breeding season at T.C. Westmeath Farm near Shelburne, Ontario. His fee will be $2,500 (Canadian funds).
Stakes winner Truckee has been relocated to Magali Farms near Santz Ynez, Calif., from Lakeview Thoroughbred Farm near Lakeview in the Golden State.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Girvin, Farrell Exit Fair Grounds Wins Well
- Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale Poised for Strength
- John Moore Sweeps Hong Kong G1s
- Under Tack Show Can Make or Break Sale
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- El Areeb Sharp in Five-Furlong Workout
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Farrell Vaults to Top of Kentucky Oaks Leaderboard