An evenly matched field of a dozen 3-year-olds, including a pair of fillies, are set to reach the starting gate in the $300,000 Canadian Derby presented by Canem Systems Aug. 20 at Northlands Park in Edmonton, Alberta.
Four of the current top 10 freshman sires of 2010 already have juvenile stakes winners. Alan Porter takes an early look at what's working with pedigree crosses for this year's 'young guns.'
Eugene and Laura Melnyk's Paynes Bay has been retired from racing and will stand the 2004 breeding season at T.C. Westmeath Farm near Shelburne, Ontario. His fee will be $2,500 (Canadian funds).
Stakes winner Truckee has been relocated to Magali Farms near Santz Ynez, Calif., from Lakeview Thoroughbred Farm near Lakeview in the Golden State.
Most Popular Stories
- Is Mubtaahij a Major Derby Contender?
- Luck of the Kitten Starts '15 in Transylvania
- U.S. Alleges Conspiracy at Penn National
- El Kabeir Fires Bullet Work at Belmont
- Keeneland Plans Wide Live Broadcast Coverage
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'
- Terranovas Seek Derby Success With El Kabeir
- Untapable Heads Asmussen Workers at Oaklawn
- Graham, Amoss, Moss Take FG Meet Titles
- Roodle & Riddle, EquiMarker Analytics Partner