Epitome, who staged a stirring stretch drive to win the 1987 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) by a nose, has died at age 19. The mare died Nov. 12 after suffering a ruptured artery. She was boarded at John and Benny Williams' Elmwood Farm in Woodford County, Ky.
Sheikh Mohammed's first order of business as owner of Jonabell Farm in Lexington will be to "give the land a rest," according to his chief bloodstock adviser John Ferguson. The sheikh's purchase of the 790-acre farm is scheduled to close Oct. 1.
Most Popular Stories
- Diva Express, I'm a Looker Dead Heat at CD
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- First U.S. Winner for Algorithms
- Exaggerator Carries Delta Jackpot Flag
- Flipcup Resolute in Arlington Matron Win
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Mike Venezia Memorial Award to Go to Pino
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont