Epitome, who staged a stirring stretch drive to win the 1987 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) by a nose, has died at age 19. The mare died Nov. 12 after suffering a ruptured artery. She was boarded at John and Benny Williams' Elmwood Farm in Woodford County, Ky.
Sheikh Mohammed's first order of business as owner of Jonabell Farm in Lexington will be to "give the land a rest," according to his chief bloodstock adviser John Ferguson. The sheikh's purchase of the 790-acre farm is scheduled to close Oct. 1.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- Yorkiepoo Princess Scores Again at Aqueduct
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Farrell Vaults to Top of Kentucky Oaks Leaderboard
- Unified Edges Mind Your Biscuits in GP Sprint
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Honorable Duty Holds Strong in Mineshaft Handicap
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death