Epitome, who staged a stirring stretch drive to win the 1987 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) by a nose, has died at age 19. The mare died Nov. 12 after suffering a ruptured artery. She was boarded at John and Benny Williams' Elmwood Farm in Woodford County, Ky.
Sheikh Mohammed's first order of business as owner of Jonabell Farm in Lexington will be to "give the land a rest," according to his chief bloodstock adviser John Ferguson. The sheikh's purchase of the 790-acre farm is scheduled to close Oct. 1.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Adjusting to Newmarket
- American Pharoah Tops NTRA Poll
- Baffert May Not Enter Filly in Kentucky Oaks
- NJ Casino Simulcast Bill Signed Into Law
- Upstart Breeder Out of Hospital, CD Bound
- Weir, Lipinski on NBC Social Media for Derby
- Lenny's Place: Kentucky Derby Edition
- Churchill Releases First Quarter Earnings
- Jimmy Creed to Spendthrift Australia
- Dortmund to Track, Other Derby Horses Arrive