Modern breeding in North America and Europe is dominated by just three major male lines: Northern Dancer, Mr. Prospector, and Seattle Slew. Other male lines still exist but they range from the relatively healthy Hail to Reason and In Reality lines, which encompass a sizable number of stallions, down to lines with just one or two major representatives remaining, such as those of Domino and Plaudit. The male line of Sharpen Up (GB) is one of those lesser sire lines that has managed to survive the 20th Century
Saturday proved to be a good day for the past two winners of the Hollywood Derby (gr. IT). The 2004 winner Good Reward won the Manhattan Handicap (gr. IT) on the Belmont Park turf and 2003 hero Sweet Return returned to Hollywood Park's lawn to capture the $350,000 Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap (gr. IT).
Jockey Julie Krone milked a slow pace with unexpected front-runner Sweet Return and the longshot colt had the stamina to hold off his fast-closing stablemate Fairly Ransom to claim Sunday's $600,000 Hollywood Derby (gr. IT) by a half-length.
Sheikh Hamdan's Shadwell Estate Company announced the repatriation of 15-year-old stallion Elmaamul to England
Godolphin Racing's Muhtathir won the Prix du Haras de Fresnay-Le-Buffard-Jacques Le Marois (Fr-I) by three lengths over Sendawar Sunday at Deauville.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah 'Just Cruising' in Workout
- White Filly Beautiful Devil Carries Tradition
- Optimism High for Fasig-Tipton July Yearlings
- Espinoza Tied in World's Best Jock Standings
- Horse Greeley Sold to Stand in Argentina
- Speedy Grade III Winner Chitu Retired
- Two 'Super Saturdays' for Belmont Fall Meet
- Kentucky Horsewoman Graves Dies at 61
- Keeneland Alters September Sale Format
- New York Coupled Entry Rules Modified