Elisabeth Jerkens, a longtime Thoroughbred owner and breeder and wife of Hall of Fame trainer H. Allen Jerkens since 1987, died the morning of Aug. 3 in South Florida at the age of 86.
New York grade II winner Best of Luck has been acquired by Elisabeth Jerkens' Hardwicke Stable and been relocated to Carl Lizza Jr. and Joseph Bartone's Highcliff Farm near Delanson, N.Y.
Spite the Devil surged past the tiring leaders in the stretch and held off a late charge by Sherpa Guide by a half-length to win the $108,100 Evan Shipman Handicap on closing day of the Belmont spring/summer meeting on Sunday.
Hall of Fame trainer Allen Jerkens said he won't try Spite the Devil in Saturday's Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. I).
The new year brought little change to the condition of Hall of Fame trainer Allen Jerkens who remains in Aventura Hospital recovering from severe pancreatitis. "His condition has been stable for a couple of days now," said his wife Elisabeth, "He's gradually getting better, but it will take a long time for him to be 100%." Mrs. Jerkens reports that artificial respiration for the 71-year-old has been reduced to 50% as his lungs show improvement, and that the medical staff is hopeful that Jerkens can be discharged from Intensive Care within seven to ten days.
Although Hall of Fame trainer Allen Jerkens remains hospitalized at Aventura Hospital, adjacent to Gulfstream Park, his wife Elisabeth reports that he is gradually improving from a severe pancreatic infection. "We're certainly over the worst of it, although he will remain in intensive care for at least another week and then be out of action for a while afterwards. The pancreas infection damaged all the vital organs, and his lungs especially will take quite a while to heal."
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park