Elisabeth Jerkens, a longtime Thoroughbred owner and breeder and wife of Hall of Fame trainer H. Allen Jerkens since 1987, died the morning of Aug. 3 in South Florida at the age of 86.
New York grade II winner Best of Luck has been acquired by Elisabeth Jerkens' Hardwicke Stable and been relocated to Carl Lizza Jr. and Joseph Bartone's Highcliff Farm near Delanson, N.Y.
Spite the Devil surged past the tiring leaders in the stretch and held off a late charge by Sherpa Guide by a half-length to win the $108,100 Evan Shipman Handicap on closing day of the Belmont spring/summer meeting on Sunday.
Hall of Fame trainer Allen Jerkens said he won't try Spite the Devil in Saturday's Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. I).
The new year brought little change to the condition of Hall of Fame trainer Allen Jerkens who remains in Aventura Hospital recovering from severe pancreatitis. "His condition has been stable for a couple of days now," said his wife Elisabeth, "He's gradually getting better, but it will take a long time for him to be 100%." Mrs. Jerkens reports that artificial respiration for the 71-year-old has been reduced to 50% as his lungs show improvement, and that the medical staff is hopeful that Jerkens can be discharged from Intensive Care within seven to ten days.
Although Hall of Fame trainer Allen Jerkens remains hospitalized at Aventura Hospital, adjacent to Gulfstream Park, his wife Elisabeth reports that he is gradually improving from a severe pancreatic infection. "We're certainly over the worst of it, although he will remain in intensive care for at least another week and then be out of action for a while afterwards. The pancreas infection damaged all the vital organs, and his lungs especially will take quite a while to heal."
Most Popular Stories
- Frivolous Posts Falls City Handicap Upset
- After Gallop, California Chrome Ready to Go
- Finnegans Wake Prevails in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Salutos Amigos Rallies to Win Fall Highweight
- Daddy D T Tops Cecil B. DeMille Stakes
- Chrome to Go for the Green in Hollywood Derby
- Nathaniel Filly Tops Tattersalls Foal Session
- Euros Inside and Out After Japan Cup Draw
- Discreet Marq, La Tia Square Off in Matriarch
- An Opportunity for Hoppertunity in the Clark