Hirapour, champion steeplechase horse of 2004, made his long-awaited jump return a winning one Thursday at Saratoga with a victory in the $79,500 A.P. Smithwick Memorial Stakes (NSA-II).
Flashing brilliance at Saratoga Race Course's Open House on the flat, Hirapour served notice that he had returned. Owned by Eldon Farm, the 10-year-old gelding takes on seven rivals in Thursday's $75,000-added A.P. Smithwick Memorial (NSA-II) in his first start over jumps since November 2005.
Eclipse Award candidates Hirapour, McDynamo and Preemptive
Strike lead a group of eight Thoroughbreds nominated to the Breeders' Cup Steeplechase (NSA-I) Oct. 12.
Most Popular Stories
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- Paco Lopez Rides Winner No. 2,000
- Bangkok Upsets Melmich in Valedictory
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- 'Chance' First Black-Type Winner for Skipshot
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm