The past two Cox Plate (Aust-I) winners clashed in the seven furlong CF Orr Stakes (Aust-I) on yet another day wracked by intense heat. The event was held Feb. 8 at Caulfield racecourse.
This year's WS Cox Plate (Aus-I) at Moonee Valley Oct. 27 proved as stunning as the equine influenza problem in Australia has been devastating. The Australian Weight For Age heavyweight championship, this year worth AUS$3 million, was taken out by the brilliant El Segundo (Pins-Palos Verdes), who was ridden a treat by Luke Nolen in a staggering 46.5 seconds.
It took a few dramatically unsuccessful attempts for connections to realize that Australia's former champion 3-year-old filly, Gold Edition, would be a senior superstar too, if simply allowed to run. She did that and won the Manikato Stakes Sept. 15.
The many outstanding performances by Australian Thoroughbreds, both domestic and abroad, have been officially crowned in Australia. The 2006-2007 ANZ (Australia and New Zealand) Classifications were released, reflecting the best individual performances by Southern Hemisphere-bred horses in the past 12 months.
Sunday Silence grandson Pompeii Ruler made his first major victory an emphatic one in the AUS$1 million Australian Cup (Aus-I).
Coolmore-owned mare Aqua d'Amore became the vehicle for Danehill's 80th individual grade I winner in upstaging her Futurity Stakes' rivals at Melbourne's Caulfield oval on March 3.
Victoria Derby Day at Flemington boasts no less than five grade I events and three of the four Derby support races fell to offspring of Danehill sons Nov. 4.
Fields of Omagh manufactured a sensational career finale with a stunning last-to-first victory in the $3 million (Australian) W.S. Cox Plate (Aus-I) at Moonee Valley on Oct 28.
Most Popular Stories
- Bettys Bambino Wins Daytona in Stakes Debut
- Gentildonna Goes Out On Top in Career Finale
- Main Sequence Arrives in Florida for Winter
- Cowtown Cat Moves to Ohio's Mapleton for 2015
- Posse Offspring Take Pair of NY-Bred Stakes
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream