Bill Mott is not a bridge player. He's too busy, he says, overseeing the training of nearly 200 horses at multiple locations around the East Coast. But he well understands the concept of trumping his opponents. Take, for example, the April 21 Hialeah Turf Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) to which Mott nominated three runners.
Associate took advantage of his inside post position, saving ground early before rallying to catch Band Is Passing in the final strides in Saturday's $150,000 Appleton Handicap (gr. IIT) at Gulfstream Park. Last year's Appleton winner Band Is Passing missed by a neck in his repeat bid, finishing second, a head in front of El Mirasol.
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury