Grade I winner Purim, a member of the stallion corps at Nathan Fox' Richland Hills near Midway, Ky., was euthanized Jan. 14 at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital near Lexington following colic surgery.
Heavy choice Tight Precision, closing fast on the outside, surged past Bootleg Annie and Pretty Unusual close to home to post her first stakes victory in the $300,000 Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Turf at Santa Anita.
Jamie Theriot, aboard Purim, had no idea if he'd get there. Julien Leparoux, on Cosmonaut, was doing his best to power under the wire. In the stands, 24,480 racegoers strained to see the photo. They saw Purim prevail by a neck in the Shadwell Turf Mile (gr. IT) at Keeneland Oct. 6.
E. J. Sukley's Purim, a multiple graded stakes winner on turf and dirt, pouncedd on the leader in the stretch en route to a 3 ¼-length victory in the inaugural $100,000 Avers Wexler Illinois Owners Stakes on Sunday at Arlington Park.
Unbeaten Purim stalked a quick pace before striking to the lead in the stretch en route to a 2 ½-length victory in the $150,000 Arlington Classic (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds on the Arlington Park turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Chrome to Go for the Green in Hollywood Derby
- Secret Circle, Itsmyluckyday in Cigar Mile
- Cary Street Leads 11 in Hawthorne Gold Cup
- Churchill Proposes Derby Bet on Winning Sire
- Lord Nelson Could Rule Kentucky Jockey Club
- Speedy Cassatt Dusts Rivals in Zia Park Oaks
- Derby Winners Have Enjoyed Turf Success
- Romans Likes Added Distance for Remsen Pair
- Unbeaten Dame Dorothy Can Cap Year in Comely
- Sageburg Will Stand in Ireland in 2015