Synthetic surfaces still have the lowest number of catastrophic breakdowns per 1,000 starts, but overall fatalities for all surfaces didn't change much from 2009 to 2011, according to Equine Injury Database statistics.
- By Tom LaMarra
An analysis of statistics compiled by the Equine Injury Database for a two-year period shows a slight decline in the number of catastrophic injuries, officials said Dec. 15.
Officials with the Equine Injury Database are seeking support from owners and trainers to start voluntarily reporting injuries to Thoroughbreds during training hours.
Most Popular Stories
- Champ Calgary Cat Up Late in Jacques Cartier
- Dortmund, Other CA Shippers Arrive at CD
- Blingismything Rallies to Capture Wilshire
- Jacobson, Cruz Take Aqueduct Spring Titles
- American Pharoah Has Lone Churchill Breeze
- The Pharoah Show Gets Rave Reviews
- Three to Represent New York in Derby
- Possessed, Take Issue Win NY Stallion Stakes
- Social Inclusion Second in 2015 Debut
- Three Derby Hopefuls Have Derby-Winning Sires