Synthetic surfaces still have the lowest number of catastrophic breakdowns per 1,000 starts, but overall fatalities for all surfaces didn't change much from 2009 to 2011, according to Equine Injury Database statistics.
- By Tom LaMarra
An analysis of statistics compiled by the Equine Injury Database for a two-year period shows a slight decline in the number of catastrophic injuries, officials said Dec. 15.
Officials with the Equine Injury Database are seeking support from owners and trainers to start voluntarily reporting injuries to Thoroughbreds during training hours.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Field to Meet Flashback in Malibu
- Slideshow: A Visit to WinStar Farm
- Swiss Lake Yodeler Solves Soviet Problem
- Mr Speaker Skims to Dania Beach Surprise
- Sweet Lulu Breaks From Rail in La Brea Clash
- No Jet Lag Can Make Amends in Sir Beaufort
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- Strapping Groom Much the Best in Gravesend
- Baker to Head Operations at Three Chimneys
- Elusive Gold Surprises Cape Guineas Field