As Maryland lawmakers prepare for their 2005 legislative session, a new poll released Jan. 10 shows that Marylanders' support for slot machines has reached a new high.
Don Litz looked over the crowd and then looked over the valley. He took a deep breath. Finally, his dream was realized.
Maryland Governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr., a Baltimore County native, spent about 90 minutes at Pimlico Race Course late Thursday afternoon, shooting two television commercials to promote next month's Maryland Million.
The Maryland Jockey Club and its majority owner, Magna Entertainment, issued a statement Wednesday reiterating their support for Pimlico Race Course at its present location.
As the Maryland General Assembly lurched into the final week of its 2004 law-making session, the future of slot machines in the state remained in the unpredictable grip of politics and, seemingly, outside the control of anyone in the horse industry.
Maryland Gov. Robert Ehrlich made a personal appeal to members of a House committee Tuesday for approval of his slot machine bill. Before the meeting Ehrlich attended a pro-slots rally at the Capitol conducted by members of the state's horse industry.
Maryland Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. has agreed to limit the potential number of sites for slot machines, eliminating one obstacle to their legalization in the state but also possibly putting Pimlico Race Course in peril.
Purses at Maryland's racetracks will fall well short of the mark sought by horse owners in the state under new slot machine legislation proposed by Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. on Wednesday night.
The decisive victory by Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. in the race for Maryland governor brought immediate smiles to the face of Maryland horsemen.
Most Popular Stories
- Back on Dirt at Keeneland; New Track Opens
- Pleasantly Perfect to Taylor Made Stallions
- Enterprising Chases Sweep in Del Mar Derby
- Bandbox Retired to Northview Stallion Station
- Startup Nation Impresses in With Anticipation
- Cat's Claw Seeks Four in a Row in Glens Falls
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Magic Bay First Winner for Sire Neko Bay
- That Handicapping Show - Woodward Stakes
- Durkin to be Honored at Saratoga This Weekend