Egyptband, winner of the 2000 French Oaks, the Prix de Diane Hermes (Fr-I), has died from complications from colic.
Mirio, the only horse in the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud (Fr-I) field with no previous group stakes experience, upset the talented filly Egyptband and seven others in Sunday's 1 1/2-mile race at Saint-Cloud.
Last year's French Oaks (gr. I) winner Egyptband earned her first win as a 4-year-old Sunday in the Grand Prix de Chantilly (Fr-II) on the undercard of this year's Oaks.
John Dunlop-trained Golden Snake made his seasonal debut a winning one Sunday at Longchamp, taking the 10 1/2 furlong Prix Ganay (Fr-I) by three lengths over 4-year-old filly Egyptband. With the Flow was another three lengths back, with Little Rock fourth in the nine-horse field.
The Aga Khan's homebred 3-year-old Sinndar upset defending champion Montjeu, winning the Prix de l'Arc de Triompe Lucien Barriere (Fr-I) by 1 1/2 lengths Sunday at Longchamp. 3-year-olds filled the top three finishing positions, with a pair of sophomore fillies, Egyptband and Volvoreta, finishing second and third, respectively.
After Friday morning's final declaration stage, 10 horses are entered for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe Lucien Barriere (Fr-I) Sunday at Longchamp. In the 1 1/2-mile race, Montjeu will seek to defend his 1999 Arc victory while facing 3-year-old Sinndar. The two Budweiser Irish Derby (Ire-I) winners head the field for the French classic.
Volvoreta, next-to-last in the 11-horse field through the early going, rallied through the stretch to a 1 1/2-length win in the Prix Vermeille Normandy Barriere (Fr-I) Sunday at Longchamp. Reve D'Oscar finished second, a neck in front of Egyptband.
Egyptband, a 3-year-old Dixieland Band filly trained by Criquette Head, charged to a three-length win in Sunday's Prix de Diane Hermes--French Oaks (Fr-I) at Chantilly.
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- Dodd's Tiznow Colt Attracting Attention at OBS
- Record Purses, Increased Handle at Oaklawn Park
- Ten Off-Track Thoroughbreds Expected for Rolex Kentucky
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing