Ed Wachtel was a successful New York owner/breeder whose runners included New York-bred Horse of the Year Claramount.
Stalwart Member, a two-time New York-bred winner of the Sports Page Handicap (gr. II) and earner of $783,807, will be retired to the Unbridled Thoroughbred Foundation, where he will be the founding member of the new retirement organization.
New York stallion Claramount, a three-time champion in the Empire State, died Feb. 17 of a ruptured aorta
Edwin Wachtel's Claramount, 1988 New York bred Horse of the Year, died of a ruptured aorta on Feb. 17 at James Edwards' The Stallion Park in Millbrook, where he had stood since entering stud in 1990. He was 19 years old.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Hard Aces Too Tough in Cougar II
- Nyquist Logs Final Work for Haskell
- Up With the Birds Back Winning at Woodbine
- Beholder Brilliant in Del Mar Breeze
- Lanerie Scores Unusual Double at Ellis Park
- Destin Remains On Track for Jim Dandy