Ed Wachtel was a successful New York owner/breeder whose runners included New York-bred Horse of the Year Claramount.
Stalwart Member, a two-time New York-bred winner of the Sports Page Handicap (gr. II) and earner of $783,807, will be retired to the Unbridled Thoroughbred Foundation, where he will be the founding member of the new retirement organization.
New York stallion Claramount, a three-time champion in the Empire State, died Feb. 17 of a ruptured aorta
Edwin Wachtel's Claramount, 1988 New York bred Horse of the Year, died of a ruptured aorta on Feb. 17 at James Edwards' The Stallion Park in Millbrook, where he had stood since entering stud in 1990. He was 19 years old.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- What's Going On Here: Solid at the Core
- 'Gold Hopes to Keep Churchill Record Intact
- Keeping Pace: Galileo Proving Up to Challenge
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 09/16/2014
- Curlin Colt Tops Strong Keeneland Session
- Flashback Retired to Stand at Hill 'n' Dale
- Fast Anna Gets Class Relief in Gallant Bob
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion
- Three-Time Grade I Winner Behrens Dies