Ed Wachtel was a successful New York owner/breeder whose runners included New York-bred Horse of the Year Claramount.
Stalwart Member, a two-time New York-bred winner of the Sports Page Handicap (gr. II) and earner of $783,807, will be retired to the Unbridled Thoroughbred Foundation, where he will be the founding member of the new retirement organization.
New York stallion Claramount, a three-time champion in the Empire State, died Feb. 17 of a ruptured aorta
Edwin Wachtel's Claramount, 1988 New York bred Horse of the Year, died of a ruptured aorta on Feb. 17 at James Edwards' The Stallion Park in Millbrook, where he had stood since entering stud in 1990. He was 19 years old.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Has Final Breeze for Belmont
- Pan American Conference Draws a Crowd
- Bill Authorizes New Jersey Casino Referendum
- NBC Set for Belmont Stakes Coverage
- Fairmount Sale Hinges on Approval for Slots
- Trainer Michael de Kock on Mubtaahij
- McLaughlin: Frosted Has to Have 'A-Plus' Day
- Miles To Go: Metropolitan Handicap History
- Carpe Diem Will Not Be Entered in Belmont
- Donegal Hopes Keen Ice Can Cool Off Pharoah