The 19th renewal of the $10 million Dubai World Cup (UAE-I) March 29 comes with a noticeable absence: There is no United States-based runner in the race previously won by American-trained horses nine times in 18 editions.
United States-based sprinter Berlino Di Tiger might be an outsider for the Al Quoz Sprint (UAE-I) March 29 on the Dubai World Cup card, but his connections are expecting a top effort.
The Triple Crown may not be on the line June 8, but a 4-year-old gelding will shoot for another type of triple at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort in West Virginia.
Stud Sampaio's Berlino Di Tiger rebounded from an off-the-board finish at Keeneland to win the $138,250 Churchill Downs Turf Sprint (gr. III) by a nose over Chamberlain Bridge May 4.
The Oct. 25 workout tab at Churchill Downs included more than a handful of contenders for the Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Brazilian-bred Alcomo got up in the final jump to nip hard-luck pacesetter Gabriel's Hill by a nose in the $200,000 Brooklyn Handicap (gr. II) June 4 at Belmont Park.
The Keeneland September yearling sale continued Sept. 25 with decreases in all major indices, though some participants see a shrouded silver lining: bargains for those with some cash and an increase in the value of yearlings in a couple of years.
Alcomo, a multiple stakes winner in his native Brazil, finally showed his winning U.S. form when he took over off the final turn and drew away for a 1 3/4-length score in the $200,000 Greenwood Cup July 18 at Philadelphia Park Casino & Racetrack.
Rodney J. Winkler's Colorado homebred The Nth Degree seized the lead less than 100 yards from the wire and tenaciously held on for a neck victory in the $110,200 Shakertown (gr. III) for sprinters on the Keeneland turf Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Dubai World Cup Night
- Owner-Breeder Bertram Klein Dies
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Zulu Seeks Skip Away Rebound
- Different Paths, Futures for Two Spiral Contenders
- Arnold Believes Spiral is Good Spot for Convict Pike
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial