A foal from Giant's Causeway's first-crop again provided the highlight at Saturday's final session of the Tattersalls December Foal Sales in Newmarket, England when Coolmore principal John Magnier signaled the successful 400,000 guineas bid for an easy-moving filly produced from the Dancing Brave mare Soha.
The 2002 Tattersalls October yearling sale ended Saturday in England with a record average of 43,076 guineas (+24% on 2001), a best ever median of 30,000 guineas (+43%), and a gross of 30,196,500 guineas (+16%) that had only been bettered once before.
Tattersalls will make major changes to its aales dates in 2003.
Bathed in sunshine from start to finish, the 14th Tattersalls breeze-up sale ended Thursday on a high note. The 53 juveniles sold grossed 1,593,500 guineas and averaged 30,066 guineas, up 27% from the corresponding session last year.
Tattersalls' October yearling sale, which will take place this year Oct. 15-19, will be presented under a new format. The Newmarket, England-based auctioneers will alter the format of the sale by offering the stronger lots on the opening two days and continuing to grade the sale until its conclusion.
Tattersalls' December mares sale ended on Thursday with a record average and its second-highest gross revenue ever. The 767 horses sold grossed 36,065,500 guineas ($53,625,972) and averaged 47,022 guineas ($69,917). Compared to last year's figures, the number sold was down by 2.7%, but the gross, average, and median rose by 4.0%, 6.8%, and 10.9%, respectively.
Most Popular Stories
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014